13337th poster gets a cookie (cookie thread (Part 7))

In the context they do this with women it’s almost always with mothers. Young women aren’t evil but any kind of mother with children is insane and unreasonable, and also any kind of middle aged woman family member. They never say it’s “about women”, it’s “about parents”, but it’s literally never done with fathers, and middle-aged woman is conflated with “mother”

3 Likes

They also do this with gay and as previously mentioned trans people, and autistic people, and sometimes if they’re feeling bold they’ll get racist with it.

And one very specific reddit thing is “illness fakers”, both mental and physical. The idea of the “illness faker” being a common kind of person you’ll encounter on a regular basis, one that is always easily identified, allows them to treat anybody saying they have any kind of illness like shit unless they “prove it”, and many illnesses are deeply difficult to “prove” to somebody without giving them wildly inappropriate & uncomfortable medical details

3 Likes

I’m looking at the subreddit now and a lot of these are in fact “about young women”, I forgot about those ones

3 Likes

The thing is that the subreddit is nominally supposed to be advice-seeking. It’s not supposed to be entertainment. So the reason people will, like, upvote something is always going to be kind of weird ulterior incentive. So even if not all of the stories are “let’s make some kind of Group look bad” the most upvoted ones will be

3 Likes

It appears we’ve made social progress, there’s now a popular pro-gay epic own story

3 Likes

This is reminding me that a lot of similar issues come up with r/NuclearRevenge or r/ProRevenge.

3 Likes

my god

1 Like

you’re telling me the subreddit based on revenge might be promoting unhealthy ideas?

6 Likes

excuse me what i was able to solicit a bribe in anarchy

1 Like

Well, there’s that too, but I’m saying that it’s plagued by the same problems that r/AITA is, perhaps more so given that it’s much easier to create stories than to experience them. As such, you position yourself as being antagonized by an external group, and it’s very easy to make a member of a minority group a cackling evil villain that is somehow inordinately protected by this imagined civilization that you’re creating.

3 Likes

fun fact i’m up like an insane amount all time on DK

1 Like

It’s that and also “spouse is evil beyond any belief and is also always cheating on you for good measure, so you get revenge and then sleep with their best friend”.

1 Like

Wait which one

r/ProRevenge and r/NuclearRevenge.

1 Like

Oh

Oops

You’re good, you’re good.

1 Like

i think

2 Likes

actually no I don’t

3 Likes