13337th poster gets a cookie (cookie thread (Part 7))

a mortgage is a Loan for a House that you Buy with the Loan

2 Likes

then yes

1 Like

something something petit bourgeoisie

1 Like

every time i hear about our mortgage its always like
ā€œweā€™re on track to pay this off way faster than we thought!!!ā€
and then theyā€™re like
ā€œweā€™re gonna pay it off in 10 years!!!ā€

1 Like

i donā€™t know if this is normal but it seems crazy

1 Like

mortgages are usually paid off over 30 years

1 Like

the housing market

got it
iā€™ve lived in this house for nearly 10 so

so yeah paying off assumingly a 30 year in 20 is sick

3 Likes

yea

i was gonna say something about how itā€™s crazy that it takes thirty fucking years to pay off a mortgage, thatā€™s like the length of a career
but then i remembered that we live under capitalism

Oh it wouldnā€™t if you paid primarily on the principal. The vast majority of your payments are towards the interest by design to maximize wealth extraction.

3 Likes

oh
lmao.

yes thatā€™s the entire point of them loaning the money tbf

2 Likes

Technically, thatā€™s kinda just because thatā€™s how the math works out, but to many peopleā€™s surprise, the bank math tends to benefit the bank.

1 Like

well yea but i mean if you loan your friend 50 dollars and tell them that you expect 70 back later, then even though thatā€™s like a 28% interest rate, your friend is still mostly paying back the 50$

idk whatā€™s going on with the mortgages here but ā€œvast majority [of payments]ā€ seems a bit absurd

thatā€™s also definitely an exaggeration iā€™d have to see the actual numbers but

wait no! [flashbacks to that one mortgage payment calculator we used in personal finance that one time]

Yeah there is such an insane amount of astroturfing on those places. Really obviously fake stuff. Itā€™s not just ā€œ[X] person was mean and unreasonableā€, itā€™s ā€œ[X] person was mean and unreasonable in a way that they are stereotyped to beā€ like ā€œAITA for being mad at a gay person hitting on a minorā€ or ā€œAITA for not letting my 11 year old get sexual reassignment surgery tomorrow???ā€

Like yes, those hypothetical people arenā€™t real, but it reinforces the (fake) idea that, for example, anyone is doing SRS on under 18 yr olds

5 Likes

im just gonna use $500,000 home because thatā€™s a nice number and very close to their starting price
idk what the fuck a normal down payment is but it starts at 85 thousand so letā€™s just go with that

bank of americaā€™s interest rate is pretty close to 6.125 which is the default

and thatā€™s all the numbers we need