17776th poster gets a cookie (cookie thread (Part 7))

ow! my leg!

1 Like

Online classes to me is just conceptually hell

Which is funny when you consider that I am an asocial hermit of a person who panics at the idea of talking to another person.

It’s just that doing things in person is more likely to get me to actually do the damn things than the freedom from others that is online unless I’m already really interested.

(It’s the same reason why I’m glad my job isn’t work-from-homeable tbh.)

1 Like

(aka it’s only been a few weeks and I already am dying inside at the economics class I’m taking)

They pay just over half of some US firms
because their working culture is British (on steroids)

1 Like

US lawyers are also paid too much

1 Like

true

how much is a pack of smokes on your hell island

1 Like

Billable Hours wins again

1 Like

the US firms pay you a quarter of a million/year as a newly qualified solicitor, which was technically possible for me to have achieved by 21, but this of course comes with work/life sacrifices

3 Likes

they don’t… they don’t call them “smokes”. lets just say

3 Likes

“Say the line Bart!”

20 pack of Marlboro Reds @ £15.60 / pack

disgusting. i can get a pack for 10USD.

3 Likes

god bless america

2 Likes

this is the freedom the founding fathers intended
a twenty filling your tank and a pack of reds

1 Like

for referencee:

US law firms like K&E pay their NQs (newly qualified solicitors) 1/4 million USD/year but their working hours are reportedly 9am to 11pm pretty much every day of the week including weekends

The magic circle (top tier elite London firms - A&O, Clifford Chance, Slaughters, Linklaters & Freshfields) have British culture, so they demand 9am-8pm but respect weekends & holidays
of course they pay you about half as much as the US firms but it’s a much friendlier workplace with actual DE&I initiatives

2 Likes

I spoke to a Linklaters trainee who was working on a pro bono project to provide legal services to Texan inmates on death row for example which was a pretty cool initiative
She was also involved in providing legal advice to UK asylum seekers who were at threat of being denied their application as the sentiment in the Home Office at the time was that fleeing your country because you were being persecuted for being queer was only “discrimination” and not “a real threat” or something

1 Like

wait until you hear about the scotland-only alcohol tax…

1 Like

DISGUSTING. immediate nato intervention needed.

2 Likes

or well actually its not a tax
it just forces retailers to sell alcohol at a minimum price per unit

1 Like