17776th poster gets a cookie (cookie thread (Part 7))

it’s a contradiction proof, suppose there’s some real number greater than every natural number, see that this is clearly insane, but watch as the proof still goes on for like 10 more sentences because you have to establish this insanity from first principles

This sounds fun

i’m sorry, the proof doesn’t use this fact. the archimedian principle (as it’s called) is in fact used in the proof of this fact

may important question are you a mets fan

1 Like

They’re literally telling me start a cult I gotta start a cult

3 Likes

Yes but not a very dedicated one

1 Like

sad. need people to talk shit about baseball with

1 Like

All my friends talk shit about baseball in a Splatoon mahjong server and I pick it up from there. But I don’t spend so much time on my own because I can’t afford any more hobbies I do too many :blunder: activities already

1 Like

There’s a channel called #g in there that somebody made accidentally which used to just be for posting the letter g but now it’s the baseball channel through unclear processes

3 Likes

specifically, the completeness axiom is that every set that’s bounded above has a least upper bound. so if there’s a real number greater than every natural numbers there is a least upper bound for the natural numbers. but since it’s a least upper bound, you can subtract, say, an arbitrarily small number from it and get that there’s a greater natural number than that. and then just add 1 to that natural number.

ask them if the ‘24 white sox are worse than the 1899 Spiders

i mean. no.

by every objective metric no

it’s hard to be worse than a team whose owner is actively dumping all their good players to the other team they own

i disagree.
The spiders were a team literally built to fail.
The white sox were theatrically supposed to be a competitive baseball team

I know the White Sox are bad and I know the 1899 Spiders were worse. You’ll never be the fucking Spiders try as you might

technically, the archimedean principle also includes the equivalent second statement that for every real number d there’s a natural number n such that (1/n) < d. (d only chosen because analysis’s favorite small number variable indicator is epsilon and i’m too lazy to copy paste that)

but showing that’s equivalent to the other statement takes like three sentences at the beginning

I’m starting a cult. I’ll compete with May’s cult. I offer medical insurance (after fifty years)

1 Like
  • Join my cult
  • No I’ll rather be cultless

0 voters

It’s private don’t be afraid to show your real opinions