About the Rules & Moderation category

there are theories he was a spy all along and a submarine came to get him. those theories are stupid

maybe he got caught by the serial killer looking for someone dumb enough or willing enough to fall into a trap that would torture them for seven days

1 Like

I don’t want to DIE. I’m addicted to new experiences. And torture is a new experience. Dying prevents you from having any new experiences so it’s rather undesirable for me

how many of the following 2024 chicago open packet 1 tossup answerlines have you heard of:
Filioque controversy
Sigmund Freud
breadth-first search
Northwest Territory
blowing bubbles
voyeurism
gravitons
1920s
Botany Bay
Korean
thymic epithelial cells
Kolkata
Mohammed Mossadegh
Charles Maurras
Gertrude Stein
Ifugao rice terraces
Lothair
“A Defense of Poetry”
pavane
uranium enrichment

guess which of these tossups had the lowest conversion rate.

chicago open is one of the tournaments of all time

(very vaguely)

All of these definitely, some seem vaguely familiar

Atlas has never heard of blowing bubbles?

…pardon?

you’re familiar with the works of percy shelley but not the city of kolkata

i’m not, no
i probably got told it during geography years ago but i had to look it up just now

I could identify Kolkata on a map a long time ago. Not today

anyway the lowest conversion rate on an answerline in this packet is… a tie! between thymic epithelial cells (fair, extremely deep cut biology topic) and… voyeurism!

(to clarify the tossup was about voyeurism in literature, with the “giveaway” being maybe the fourth most famous work of the already deep cut author alain robbe-grillet. still funny though)

blowing bubbles had the same conversion rate as gertrude stein and ifugao rice terraces (granted, because the tossup was about blowing bubbles in art, and i certainly wasn’t familiar with the chardin painting in the “giveaway”)

quizbowl is awesome

I told my brother about quizbowl

He doesn’t have a life really you have a chance to get him

when your hs becomes a nationally relevant quizbowl powerhouse make sure to thank me

2 Likes

he probably shouldn’t be playing chicago open this young though. they’re apparently making a targeted effort to make the answerlines harder for next year’s co

1 Like

Probably a hazard for children’s development to be exposde to chicago open like lead paint or asbestos