Cookie Thread Act 2: Silksong

I dont think you can be denied, at worst they might reject your luggage or parts of it if something doesnt fit with requirements, otherwise u got a ticket, paid for it, what they gonna do? Ur ass getting on that plane

2 Likes

I don’t know how to explain the exhilaration of watching a 9 Honba Incident on stream to people who don’t play mahjong

1 Like

Okay. So a standard two-wind game of mahjong lasts 8 hands. Each round, someone’s the dealer, after each round, the dealer rotates counterclockwise, dealer changes 8 times, 8 hands is a normal amount of time to be playing mahjong for, right

EXCEPT. If the round is a draw (in most cases), or if the dealer wins, the round repeats and the dealer’s seat stays with the same player. So if it’s the first round of the game & dealer wins, the hand starts again and it stays the first round.

There is no limit to the number of round repeats that can occur. Like baseball, this means that there is No Guarantee a game of mahjong will ever end. The dealer can just keep chaining wins together. Additionally, every time the round repeats, the hands become higher-stakes: normal hands score more and more points periodically as you get into the Minecraft Farlands time where a 1000-point hand scores 4200

This also means that it is never impossible for a player to come back, even if they can’t make any one super high-scoring hand, if they still have a dealer’s seat upcoming. They can chain together cheap hands indefinitely so long as they just keep winning

Today, on stream in a mahjong tournament, my good friend Sniv, who I bet 1,984 fake Twitch money on, chained together NINE REPEAT COUNTERS, going from last place to an EXTREMELY solid first and boosting themselves up like six places in the tournament standings

NINE REPEAT COUNTERS. That is DOUBLE the time of a standard game with no repeats. DOUBLE

N I N E HONBA

It was not

There are four players in a game of mahjong. If you imagine that wins are the only way to end a mahjong hand (they’re not) and that all players have the same chance of winning (they don’t), then the chance of the dealer winning 9 straight hands is 1/(4^9).

1/262144

That’s a very bad estimate because 1. good portion of hands end in draws, which are easier to get repeats on and 2. dealers Know they can string wins together, so they know they can afford to go for really fast, really cheap hands in order to hold onto their dealer’s seat.

Damn the commentary on this stream is high-energy glum and I just muttered about discards and banned marriage

1 Like

1 Like

THIRTEEN ORPHANS MENTIONED

1 Like

I hope one day I find someone who loves me as much as May loves mahjong

1 Like

This hand currently lacks the head.

1 Like

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

@Litten do ur thing little guy

1 Like

Over here ayoboy