Cookie Thread Act 2: Silksong

@Silviu200530 when he completes his latest scam (he pirated winrar)

@baker

2 Likes

You’re making me cough laugh that’s not fair

1 Like

baba booey

Okay Romania has 2.862 communes (countryside), but only 572 are populated above 5K citizens.
We have 216 cities, though 117 have under 10K residents.
Where the population is negligible that’s where worthless mayors thrive.

We have this TV show named Romania, Te Iubesc with its subsequent Statul Degeaba (Futile State), where a dedicated group of journalists tries to expose institutionalized corruption (region-wide or focusing on a town).

Each time the journalists try to confront a mayor head-on, they’re let in at first because the mayors don’t know what is it about, then they usually get defensive and in its subsequent days, they refuse to answer to the journalists anymore.

It’s especially funnier when those institutions are scared to death that they either lock themselves in, they peep to see if there’s cameramen and what not. Those people are the most patient people when they have to hide but more or less when they have to answer a series of provocative questions.

Funding

Mayors are obviously subsidized by the state and that’s where they also earn their paycheck. Though they also need money to reinvigorate their town so they can either:
Ask the European Union for funds (no costs neccessary), however a problem that hurts the pesky mayors. There’s european commission reviewers that always check the quality of the building and the time neccessary to build something.
Because those reviewers are so mean and scary, most mayors would just draw money from the state, where NOBODY reviews the building slot.

But, why would SOMEBODY reinvigorate a village-town that has like 2K citizens, isn’t that right? Wouldn’t it be better to be redirected into officials’ pockets? This glaring problem with NOT reviewing building constructions it’s such an easy scheme of getting more money.

Moneydrain schemes

As explained above with the funding. Yes, maybe you can get away if you’re in a town that’s almost as good as dead in number of residents, however, if you do not want the anti-corruption agency on your baba booey (as Today said above), but especially to actually GET people to elect you again. You need to build stuff, especially if the citizens actually care about such a stuff and if there’s political competition.

Also there’s roads that are made improperly or buildings that do not even have practical uses. I am yet to find out why those even happen.

Okay so, we have heroic journalism and mayor institutes that ended up there not because they’re better, but mostly because of nepotism.

There was once a scandal in one of the communes that kept buildings roads to nowhere. When the TV crew came to interview the mayor, she locked herself in. After a while the crew had to leave, but not before installing a spycam on a public lot that would eventually witness how the mayor waited 5 minutes and finally got into her car and left.

When the mayor finally opened the door to the crew after a few days, they were confronted with this and they simply shrugged and tried to make excuses.

Those parts are the funniest things to me.

Another case where the mayor would literally run, get into their car and drive away. Reminding me alot of those breaking news where an insistent journalist tries to interview somebody accused of a crime as they’re carried with handcuffs and brought either to the police station or the tribunal.

2 Likes

lmao most romanian thing i read

3 Likes

Do you have a TV show dedicated to exposing bulgarian corruption?

1 Like

I kid you not. We have a strict strict audio-visual law that needs to follow strict guidelines in order to maintain its neutrality, like asking people of both sides of a matter, interviewing neccessary people and what’s with them (if the journalists try to report on a murder, they have to reach out to the victim’s family members and also get a chance at interviewing the accused to form a proper opinion. If they’re unavailable, they have to say so).

I watched so many times where the TV stations, I kid you not, had to publicly broadcast that they got fined and what laws they violated (they’re forced to do that).

2 Likes

CNN and USA could never

2 Likes

We also have an anti-hate-speech committee. If the TV host tries to push homophobic, racist, transphobic and what else, they’re getting fined.

This also counts for public figures like politicians.

2 Likes

damn this is miles ahead of us. we dont got stuff like that

we had a tv show dedicated to exposing a lot of corruption and silly stuff

in general our corruption isnt these petty thieves nobodies, like we have them too, but we have serious problem with like … “lvl 99 mafia bosses”. like a bit more “elite” and dangerous organized crime

not russia levels of corruption where u’d fear for ur life. u can still criticize public figures. but like, there’s lot of racketing, lots of blackmailing, our prime minister was an actual mobster, a lot of them are, etc

1 Like

Albania

Bottom text

2 Likes

wow romania into western europe?

we havent had a trans person appear on tv in the last 6-7 years. its like an unwritten law to forbid to show their existence

there’s only been 1 case where such a person was shown - she had mental issues driving a scooter with insane speed on the highway causing danger, and the report was made to paint her and trans people in general as all insane and horrible as that’s the agenda

2 Likes

You won’t be seeing something equivalent to “Rittenhouse did it, he looks like a damn criminal” coming from a TV host, like you’d see on the TV channels in USA.

Or “vote Johannis 2024”

1 Like

romania is by far the most westernized balkan country

the culture itself is the only one that’s latin and not slavic i wonder if that influenced the western attraction

we have had a lot of problems with russia influence as we’re almost identical nations, language wise too, so we’re keep getting pulled backwards by boomers who long for their russian childhoods. altho this is the case in romania too somewhat

2 Likes

I’d say Romania lives in a reality where all parties are mostly centrist (more or less because of law), but leftism-rightism doesn’t matter. We do have a fight for liberalism here, though as you know, politicians aren’t allowed to be opinionated on gender and sexuality identity. Though you can interview a citizen or a priest about their opinions against those entire things and it would be fine for them.

Strip leftism-rightism, strip religious beliefs and ideology as a whole and you’re left with the Romanian political party. Where citizens solely vote on who looks more competent and who does more for the country (like giving money to people!!!)

2 Likes

lol interesting

in bulgaria pretty much everyone races to hate on the gays and stuff

all of our parties, ranging from the ones close to russia, to the ones who are pro-eu and nato, to the one who are the most “leftist” (american leftist) - they all label themself as “right” - everyone single one, because thats the most popular thing for a bulgarian voter. calling urself “right” and hating on the gays

2 Likes

Romania has alot of christians and also alot of 40yo+, we aren’t really liberal when it comes to those things, unless you’re a youngling who has access of english mainstream.

2 Likes

same

we’re christian by technicality but in reality very very atheist, even most old people dont really believe. very very bigoted though

1 Like

Isn’t that ironic? Considering homophobia stems from religion?

Okay, more or less on what you’re also used to (there’s people out there and that doesn’t like change)

2 Likes

i agree it probably started from there

imo the current homophobia here is a symptom of the macho culture. its mostly the gay men that are hated and abused, not lesbian women. as being a weak/feminine man is a sin here

at least thats how it was when i was younger. things are getting better a bit? but not rly. a tiny bit. baby steps better

1 Like