Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

the good thing abt radiohead is that you could probably put like any one of their songs on and say it means smth and itd be good enough. like yeah probably. One time they ran a competition to decide the meaning of one of their songs

one day u will escape ur mental prison and realize pablo honey is good too

1 Like

you / creep / anyone can play guitar

go hard

especially you

1 Like

well boy do i have the perfect album for you

4 Likes

Racism.
There, done.

I’m doing My Love Is Sick, hopefully

its alright. just not my thing

1 Like

You reap what you sow.

Okay so, I personally think that S3 E1 of The Owl House “Thanks to Them” is the SMARTEST episode of TV out there. Its not the best by itself (its up there imo) but it still gets beat it by singularly good episodes of TV, like Ozymandias from breaking bad. Thanks to Them does everything it needs to do, does it succinctly, and is also an absolute treat to watch.

owl house spoilers obviously

Before I talk about how much owl house does right in this aspect I wanna talk about another show with a weirdly similar overarching plot, amphibia! (ALSO AMPHIBIA SPOILERS FOR S3)

Amphibia, in my opinion, kinda does the whole return to another realm thing exteremly poorly. Like EXTREMELY poorly. I love Amphibia but I do NOT love S3, it feels rushed in the important parts but way too slow in the filler. Entire episodes are spent on side plots and are given the same impirtance as main plot, and the series finale is also very dissapointing compared to what could be. Its not entirely the show runners fault; the season was produced during COVID-19 and was also under very strict supervision from higher ups due to the events in the S2 finale. The main thing with S3 is that it tries to stay as whimsical as it was but in a human world, which makes it FAR harder to suspend your disbelief in the characters and their actions.

Amphibia spoilers over: Owl House does the exact opposite, albiet not of their own volition. As soon as you get past the first night in the human realm, after some character devlopment between Luz and Hunter (I wonder if what they talked about will be relevant later?), theres an immediate timeskip forward. In that timeskip, we both see a montage of the rvents rhat had happened and also see how the human realm has effected members of the group! We see Luz’s awkward joyfulness turn into anxiety and sadness, reflecting how she blames herself for everything. We see how the other members have coped, Willow staying strong despite everything (I wonder if she’ll have an arc about this later?), Gus missing his dad but finding solace in Cosmic Frontiers, which Hunter also bonds with him over. Amity also tries to be as helpful as she can as she can tell Luz is distraught, and all of this makes perfect sense AND sets up the events of this episode and the future ones perfectly! We immediatley see how these characters are acting, and then see how they apply that to the world around them. When Amity gets the oppurtunity to help when Flapjack find the Rebus she immediatley jumps on it, which sets everyone on a fun adventure in the human world. And it feels like NO time is wasted, even though there are bits and some not as relevant events, everyone is acting EXACTLY as you would imagine them to act. No one acts in an unreasonable manner to progress the plot, no one goes back in their arcs, everyone moves forward through what their facing how you would expect. And its so well DONE. The owl house team was given limited time, and so they spent EVERY SINGLE SECOND to its fullest use, setting up character plots for the final 2 episodes and setting up the plot for that episode EXTREMELY well. I could do more of a play by play but im running out of time to write so im just gonna touch on a few scenes I love.

One of my favorites is when Luz and Hunter explore the basement. The paranoia and fear Hunter feels is clear, and the entire sequence as they go down and see a racoon is animated so well. And then the fucking “Yup, you’re family now” IS. SO. GOOD. I started bawling when i first saw it but I also couldnt help but be impressed by how well done that scene was. He starts crying in his mask and then talks about how it was snotty, it just felt so so so REAL. This episode took me out of the immersion because the characters were acting SO REAL. That’s fucking impressive!

Thanks to Them sets up the rest of the plot SO well, sets itself up just as well, and develops characters EVEN BETTER. You could summarize the episode as “Luz and co. find a way back to the human realm” but its so much MORE. We get revealed secrets about Hunter and Luz. FLAPJACK DIES. We have the entire history of the whittebanes revealed! (It was already technically revealed but it spells it out). And most imporantly, unlike amphibia, IT ALL FEELS IMPORTANT. Every scene feels necessary and planned to a T. Its so well done, and every beat feels so SMART. It feels like they planned this the entire time and when NONE OF IT WAS. Like how do you write so well that that happens. I wrote this over multiple class periods so my thoughts probably seem super disorganized but

TLDR

thanks to them sets up the plot like bowling pins and then bowls like 30 strikes in a row. The way it was written and made is very, VERY, *VERY( smart and well done. I love it and it makes me cry.
And the start of amphibia S3 is meh

tangent

I remember being so excited for this episode that I recorded it ahead of time bc I was gone for a band competition. I remember skipping through all the commercials and sitting in the dark quietly watching it on the living room TV while my parents slept at like 11pm. It was so nice to be able to cry freely while watching that, and it made me realize how postively owl house had effected my life. I would have never watched a tv show in the living room before that! I wouldve never CRIED like that! And I remember afterwards just crying bc I knew that that was the endtimes of owl house and after the next 2 episodes I wouldnt get anymore. And dont get me started on watching and dreaming, oh my fucking god I cried for like 3 hours straight. My mom was even talking to me while i watched it and I tried to cover my face and not choke on my words while I watched WAD. It was so freeing. If you read this as well then call me a nerd or something idk I love owl house so much I wish I had the patience to write fanfiction. I tried once but gave up and now im too busy and stressed to try.

3 Likes

I typed that all on mobile so idk how it looks on pc but i hope its fine

1 Like

Aww I love this ty. You are a nerd (endearing) though.

2 Likes

who up nerding they special interest

2 Likes

im listening to this and judging you

1 Like

we need a “go off” thread for people to just do shit like that

its called the cookie thread

what baout like. an apple thread

an apple a day keeps the special interest posting away

1 Like

guess who in the New York Times connections

1 Like

so uh

if anything breaks on the site in the next lil bit spam ping me on discord

good luck

1 Like

i dont have my mod powers anymore, can you fix that?

1 Like

@LanaDelRey register