Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

i wouldnt go to an ivy if I had the opportunity now because I dont care that much about a great education or a future career over things like Fun and Friends. but they are absolutely worth it lol

1 Like

Consider: people drop out because they’re inferior compared to these best of the best people

According to my dad

like I can safely say that I wouldn’t be half the electrical engineer I am today if I went to, like, Michigan Tech instead of U of M

1 Like

it would actually not even be close

my dad and I share the same first and last name (i have not legally changed my name yet and am waiting until i get married to do so to avoid doing it more than once), and some of his mail was forwarded to me by mistake. i get hillsdale college bullshit like once a month and it makes me angry every time. i think i could email them to get them to cut it the fuck out or whatever, but i genuinely cannot stomach doing so.

1 Like

Also too expensive

I get emails from Colorado Christian

actually ivies and the like tend to be cheaper for low-income students

2 Likes

how do you know this wasn’t due to the resources and connections

If my mom knew she’d probably tell me to go there

you’re insane if you don’t consider that part of the education

2 Likes

Damn ok

this seems wrong? like, for any given school, there are direct benefits to the people who attend it, and (to a lesser extent) to the staff who work there (since even if their jobs suck they’re still getting paid), and then indirect benefits to Society As A Whole of having people be educated.

I expect the societal benefits are basically exclusively going to depend on how good the school is? so if your take is that charter schools aren’t much/significantly better than district schools (as you’ve said during this conversation – I’m not clear on whether this is what you actually believe) then we’d expect the societal benefits to be ~comparable and ~similarly widely-reaching (unless you have reason to think that any particular schooling model makes people Inherently More Or Less Likely To Help Others, which I guess could theoretically be true). if you think charter schools are actively worse at educating students than district schools then that could obviously affect societal benefits (fwiw, I do think that charter schools that particularly suck should be closed down).

I guess technically you could argue that charter schools provide less direct benefit to individual students because they have a lower population but that seems obviously silly (like by that argument all small schools would be bad) so I assume you’re not arguing that

charter school students don’t exist in a bubble outside of society, they go back into the same society as everyone else

looked it up and it just seems so expensive after aid idk

1 Like

yeah my parents are both in education, my mother in particular in a district with generally lower SES than our hometown, and the very few low SES kids that have gotten into these schools generally find them much cheaper than any option that isn’t low enough to be giving them a full ride

Yeah

It’s also Christian

…yeah
i think thats pretty obvious by the fact i cant remember what i ate two days ago

1 Like

right but public schools are, by their nature, public, and generally have to take everybody (with exceptions, but in general)

charter schools are not, they can preference students based on specific factors and often have blind lotteries to determine final enrollment

dollar for dollar helping a public school district will positively impact more people than a charter school

1 Like

then you factor in the fact that kids attending charters means they aren’t attending ISDs, which affects their funding, and in all it’s hard to argue that the cost to society is anything but expensive