Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

Accepting a plea deal is a criminal conviction. It’s called a plea deal because it’s a deal by which you plead guilty and waive your right to further argue against the charges.

(Edit: actually if I remember correctly, the vast majority of plea deals have the defendant pleading “No Contest” rather than “Guilty” because the former is not an admission that you actually did anything wrong just that you aren’t going to fight about it anymore. I’m not sure all of the situations it matters, but I believe it would matter in a civil suit regarding the act in question. That is, a guilty plea could be used against you, but the no contest plea could not.)

2 Likes

yeah I was gonna say

Imposing a (fair) duty of care on police to protect every citizen would be rather difficult.

1 Like

No, but (in E&W) contractual duty can create a duty of act; it depends on the situation

1 Like

Let’s just assume this is true. I don’t think we should give them no obligation to protect citizens and protect them from all liability if they could have safely done something and just chose not to. They should have some obligation to use their exclusive state-sanctioned capacity to use force for the good of the community that has entrusted them with that enormous power with the understanding that was how it would be used.

1 Like

The current law to achieve this in E&W is a “misconduct in public office” offence which can be fulfilled by an omission to act.

1 Like

England and Wales? And I was speaking specifically with regards to US law which was implied but never explicitly said

1 Like

Yes, England & Wales. I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m just letting you know a different approach another country has found which seems close enough to what you want for the US.

1 Like

It’s not what I want as much as I think should be the bare minimum in a sane and just society. I am not going to get into what I want to happen.

1 Like

I read it very quickly. This is my understanding which could be wrong:
It’s because the law which allows citizens of the US to sue the government is applicable in cases of deprivation of rights granted under the Constitution or law, and the court found that a restraining order did not grant a property right and was therefore not under the protection of the 14th amendment or any law.
Essentially, the courts are reluctant to recognise anything other than a right proscribed by law being breached as actionable in court with regards to the police.

1 Like

so you can swing both ways huh~

2 Likes

5 Likes

Incredibles Syndrome the Hero 720p (youtube.com)
For a criminal genius, this guy sucks at pretending to be a super hero.

1 Like

Tutu

I am not last in the slightest, I just wasn’t public about it

1 Like

It wasn’t the wisps who killed Archimonde. It was the Russian chipmunks.
Warcraft 3:killing Archimonde on hard difficulty (youtube.com)

Me and my fol friends (im the last straight person left alive)

2 Likes

“fol is not a gay cult mom, theyre my friends who by coincidence just all happen to be fruity!!!”

also fol:

5 Likes

ur as straight as a circle tootie :3

4 Likes

may have bought a lead cup