Cookie Thread Act 6: Cookie & Thread

this is what I got when I ran it

so I think it’s not finding the threads at all

It almost certainly just spat out code nearly verbatim from its data set. Someone tried to show me how good ChatGPT was at writing boilerplate code and it spit out a partial, non-working example from the library’s docs that was the literal first link when you googled the question. Like… Yeah it did manage to grab the code marginally faster, but it literally wouldn’t run and just straight up copied from the docs lol.

But yeah point is the odds of a non-working sample is pretty good

1 Like

Right your list is length zero.

technically mine is running! it’s just not doing anything useful

anyways I am aware that the sample isn’t working but I don’t know how to fix it

Uh try like thread_links = soup.find_all('a', class_='post-subject')

You may wanna double check the class name. I went from memory

Am I crazy or did it have you import re without using it lol

how do I do that? from previous conversation with the bot I understand it to involve inspect element in some fashion but I’m not clear on what I’m actually supposed to do

I think it did yeah

to be fair to the bot I totally did that sort of thing all the time in high school robotics-

1 Like

You should be able to right-click a thread link, and see “inspect” in the context menu.

The class name would be what’s quoted in the class attribute. There may be multiple classes and there may be other a elements on the page with a given class than the one you want, but I’d have to look myself to say for sure

@tutuu 22

2 Likes

If you can’t figure it out tonight, I can help you tomorrow and I almost guarantee I can get it working in minutes. Lili could too and it’ll be up before me so you don’t even have to wait for me

it says <td class="post-subject vtop even">

does that mean I can do it with just thread_links = soup.find_all('a', class_='post-subject'), I don’t need to worry about vtop or even because those are separate classes?

ok I ran it and got the error message

C:\Users\Francis>python C:\Users\Francis\Downloads\glowfic_scraper.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Francis\Downloads\glowfic_scraper.py", line 38, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:\Users\Francis\Downloads\glowfic_scraper.py", line 28, in main
    thread_links = soup.find_all('a', class_='post-subject')
                   ^^^^
NameError: name 'soup' is not defined

which I was going to say was weird since elsewhere I have soup = BeautifulSoup(response.text, 'html.parser'), but both of those are in the definitions of separate functions so maybe that’s why it’s having issues? iirc that’s one of the things Python’s annoying about

Is response.text supposed to be a .txt file?

Wait nvm i saw the full code

that was me

and yeah I mean GPT isn’t gonna do the whole thing for you but it can help point you in the right direction and take care of really menial stuff