[FEEDBACK] More transparent moderation

I mean I could think of some???

Either A. To have more enforced regulations
B. To have transparency moderators

Those are the two off the top of my head

Or you could publish dissenting opinion but idk if moderator actions is a vote

Those are fair enough things to advocate for, I just didn’t know what you were saying you wanted in your original statement.

I don’t agree, for the reasons I stated earlier, I think having more strict regulations is a bad idea because cases are sufficiently different from each other that it’d lead to more ineffective moderation (while I think bias is generally evened out by having multiple opinions on a matter, so long as the moderators respect each other, which I think they do), and I think more transparency would lead to significant issues with privacy, both for the moderators and for the users being moderated (quite honestly, I think knowing which moderator gave which opinion would lead to more bias, of moderators not wanting to make things awkward with their friends by advocating punishment for them if it would be public, and I also think the details of cases remaining private is more respectful to users who gave reports and users being moderated). But I see where you’re coming from now.

Idea for transparency moderators is to not have a say in the decision making, but more so function to police bias and provide more transparency to the public. So the transparency moderator could keep the moderators anonymous, but still comment on what the decision making process was like, if asked

Oh, okay. I misunderstood what you meant by “transparency moderator”.

I think most of the benefit of what a transparency moderator would be doing is provided by the existing moderators already. You can already ask the mods for some level of insight into why they made their decisions, and you would still have to trust a transparency moderator to be unbiased themselves when giving reports. It’s still the job of other moderators to check other mods if they feel they’re being biased. I think they would end up functionally the same as a regular moderator.

I’m in a Discord chat where non-mods are in the moderator chat for server permissions reasons (we’re admins), and there doesn’t end up being a clear division between “person in mod chat” and “moderator”, because everybody gives input/asks others for input if wanted. Decisions are generally collective, and people, in my experience, are much more likely to be overly lenient trying to correct for bias than they are to be actively biased themselves. Would FoL be exactly the same? Dunno. But that’s how things have been in my experience.

2 Likes

don’t worry guys I’m here to make moderation more transparent

no need to thank me :D

17 Likes

the second image isn’t even transparent it’s just harder to read

4 Likes

whygodwhy
i took the easy route to mske look transparent someone noticed

5 Likes