Random design thread for Weird Board Game Misc

Isn’t that an extremely real time game

I meant with regards to “card has a regular ability and a stronger ability upon discarding it”.

1 Like

Oh ok fair

Some other Zelda Mafia related thoughts that seem to fit well here:

Pacing:
QBCord Zelda Mafia had phase changes at noon and 5pm EST, which kept the tempo but meant that you could miss a lot of phases if you couldn’t access your device. FoL Zelda Mafia had more consistent phase changes, but it was also much slower for it and was probably starting to lose people.
IMO, the best way to handle this is to give people more options for things to do during each Turn. This can either just be more options to consider and more things you can do during the Turn, or it can be real-time stuff within a Turn (I’ve been trying to figure out how I’d want to do real-time combat within a Turn).

Map Design:
The two big things I’d consider here are exit routes and shortcuts. The latter is more flavor-related, but as you put together the map, consider places that would be reasonable to connect in some way. The former, however, is definitely something you should start with and work backwards from.

Role Design:
This part of Zelda Mafia took me forever because it’s incredibly intertwined with how you interact with the game. A good rule of thumb is to think of three things that the role can do, either through player action or player creativity; the more, the better. This probably goes hand-in-hand with map design, so if you’re having trouble with your role design, it might help to rethink how your map.

GMing:
By far my biggest time sink was moving people on the map, saving each image, and sending it out to each player. Much of the reason for this was in case someone went wildly off-track and needed to know where they were. You could maybe get away with only sending new versions whenever something major happens or when a player asks for it.
More than anything, though, treat this like you’re DMing for a DnD campaign. When in doubt, let players roll for it. My biggest regret regarding Zelda Mafia is that I was too stingy on giving people wins, and I don’t think that you should repeat that mistake. It might be helpful to, say, give advantage on all throws or add a proficiency bonus or something like that to weight things in the players’ favor. Above all else, though, just ensure that a player feels like they have the freedom to do a bunch of stuff.

1 Like

This is what happens when I let a game rattle away in my head for a year.