1 Like

no this is the right thread tell me more

1 Like

hopefully this is more convincing

2 Likes

Featuring katze from the Fortress of Lies series

1 Like

Round 1 Results

With 10 teams in this round, 3 will be eliminated.

1st Place

May and Zugzwang, with 1 round!

Starting

In hindsight, I probably should’ve vetoed this because UNIT + [anything] is almost guaranteed to be an easy one, but I expected May and Zugzwang to narrowly miss.

Live and learn. Will be more stringent about vetoing from next round on.

2nd Place

Hazard and Litten, with 2 rounds!

Starting

This one was a fast one. Copycat definitely feels a bit distant from Speech, but Plagiarism is a good match. Not much more to say about this one.

3rd Place (tie)

Marshal and Bionic, with 3 rounds!

Starting

Bionic submitting Sinner is, as Marluna pointed out, kind of an “eh” choice, and I became a bit more stringent with vetoing stuff after this point. Will say that Marshal did clarify that she meant the Devil and not a devil when prompted before Bionic submitted, so the match was deemed legitimate.

3rd Place (tie)

Nutella and Jane, with 3 rounds!

Starting

There are definitely some rounds where players find it easier to work with one word than another. Was really hoping for words that leaned more into the “gripping” aspect that Traction evokes, but I think Mystery by its very nature compels one to assume Traction.

Fun fact: they originally got NEWS and MANAGER, but Marluna informed me that NEWS MANAGER is a legitimate word, so I rerolled. Another timeline, I suppose.

5th Place

Pandora and Lilith, with 4 rounds!

Mild NSFW

Starting

I was hoping for something along the lines of, “Like a pie, a relationship is sweet,” or something corny like that.

And then Pandora submitted Sex, and we had to veto it, and then Lilith went with Cream.

Honestly glad we vetoed Sex because if we went down that route instead of the baked goods route, I do not know how I would explain what came next to the moderators.

6th Place

Katze and Alexandria, with 5 rounds!

Starting

A last-minute addition, but they got this one down quite fast. Surprised they matched on Goods because I certainly wouldn’t have thought of that, but hey, that’s Word Match for ya’.

7th Place

Arctic and Arete, with 8 rounds initially and a 3 round tiebreaker!

Starting
Starting

The initial round was full of close misses, but the team made up for it in the tiebreaker. Overall, solid performance, and for those keeping track at home, you can cross off the “match on Gay” bingo box.

8th Place - Eliminated

Chloe and Sulit, with 8 rounds initially and an unfinished tiebreaker!

Starting
Starting

Another one off the bingo board. We’re comfortable calling the result of the tiebreaker for obvious reasons.

Was really hoping things wouldn’t come down to having to do a tiebreaker round, but what can ya’ do?

9th Place - Eliminated

Kanave and Guava, with 24 rounds!

Guava wasn’t online until a few hours ago, so we’d expected this team to go as an unfortunate DNF (this is also why the tiebreaker was a “maybe” on mattering; if Guava got back on, and they matched in less than 8, the tiebreaker would’ve been unnecessary). Compared to that, I’m glad these two got to play.

Kanave and Guava were clearly on two different trains of thought, best exemplified in Nidoking-Satan but also well displayed, imo, in Vault-Diamond. Unfortunate that this went badly for them, but I am very glad that they both got to play.

10th Place - Eliminated

CarrotyReaper and Carbonated, with 32 rounds!

Yeah.

The only places I think I might have ruled differently given infinite time are CS-Programming (I still think CS captures enough non-programming stuff to justify the no-match) and Bootleg-Fake (I’m ruling this as the difference between the actual Arcane S2 episodes leaking and someone saying that they have an early access S2 episode that’s just a video them having their Vi and Caitlyn action figures make out).

The despair Carbon felt during this game was legendary and shall be her story to tell.

Good job to all teams! We will start Round 2 at 2024-08-17T02:00:00Z.

Teams

Team 1:

@Hazardwaste and @Litten

Team 2:

@Kanave and @guavagudetama

Team 3:

@May and @Zugzwang

Team 4:

@Arctic and @Arete

Team 5:

@Chloe and @sulit

Team 6: