BOTC/BOTF Discussion Thread 2

Go to sleep

1 Like

Thanks for the contribution

1 Like

That’s called vote stalling and can be dealt with in a different way. The voting strategies arise from voting order and nomination order.

I am well aware of how much work it would take for a host to do this though. There’s a reason unofficial has a bot doing it for the hosts. But I think the way it works with the clock hand adds some more depth to the game, it becomes more important to figure out what should be done before end of day and it becomes important for wolves to figure out how voting order and nomination order affects them along with town. I don’t think it’s viable without a bot doing it for us, though, but if a bot is ever created that works I would love to see it tried. Understandably it would be hard for people who are new to figure out how this voting method works, but that can be dealt with by providing examples of how it works.

1 Like

Vote stalling is against the rules on most games on unofficial, I think. What vote stalling is, is withholding your vote and preventing the clock hand from moving when you are online and can vote. Some hosts work around this by stating that if the player is online for a while and are choosing to not vote despite being asked, they are simply skipped. An issue with that format here is that, I do not wish for the day to be extended because certain people haven’t voted. I think the only way that would feel good for people on this forum if we ran this style is to turn the voting/nomination cycle on its head and make it so the first 24 hours are for nominations, encourage people to vote on these, and then the last 24 hours are for the clock hand (and people can still whisper during these times). I think a problem though is just a person not showing up…and I don’t really know how to fix that.

A couple other points

1. I don’t think demon whispers work well with lunatic. It’s an interesting concept in long form games and the rationale for allowing it is a balancing idea because of how town sided whisper tracking is. But it doesn’t play nice with lunatic.
  2. I would be interested to see asynchronous whispering. The idea behind it is once per day, you can enter an unlimited whisper with another player by declaring an asynchronous whisper. You can talk in this whisper until whispers close. You cannot talk in it while whispering with other people, however you can still speak in the town square. I think that could be a fun compromise or at least a fun experiment to test.
  3. I voted unlimited whispers because it is fun, but I do think that three whispers a day is very good for the game, it’s a lot more realistic and it makes it so whispers are more important.

I think “the host has more work to do” is a flawed argument when discussing whether or not the voting system is better. The only reason that is the case, is because the existing groundwork we have doesn’t support a clockhand voting system - which could be coded into the parser for clocktower games, anyway.

The current system doesn’t even work very well anyway! It can’t deal with nominations seamlessly.

Where have demon whispers come from? Pardon the pun, but this is madness.

My headcanon is that the demon invades someone’s mind when a demon whisper someone.

Botc unofficial

1 Like

They deleted this character…

1 Like

Why did they remove tooth kraken

1 Like

how can we have a good player with the shabaloth ability who is nevertheless not a demon and therefore doesn’t obstruct good’s wincon now???

day ruined

yeah I know, it sucks that they removed it

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3 Likes

I have found the next botf script

1 Like

tf and outsiders are left out, needs math, lunatic, and chambermaid

what have you done

Daeron what do we make of this situation