BOTF XXVI: LIZARDS - EVIL WINS

Botcu moment

My abilities weren’t tied to my alive/sober state at all I’m pretty sure

im still salty everyone yelled at me when I said play socially lol

Yeah you basically just did a PD

Because you werent droisoned on n1 it stuck

1 Like

i ran may’s role off of my understanding of the game’s rules and precedents of plaguedoctor and philosopher so
sorry if it was confusing but i still believe it was straight off the ability text

1 Like

I think the way you ran it can be argued to be correct under BotC precedent if you go through every role in the game and find the closest analogues. I also think that’s not good enough in a closed role madness game where there is no way to reference past rulings regarding your exact role.

I should not have to understand every role in BotC to know how my own works. Things should be as clear as possible from the outset, even if it means making the ability text longer or adding clarifications afterward.

2 Likes

Wording and clarity are very important in role madness games. BotC has a lot of baked-in understandings about how roles work, which is less bad in an open setup where people seek out specific rulings, but you can’t assume everybody else is as familiar as you are when you’re making custom roles and I can’t ctrl+F rulings on Discord. Any assumptions you’re making should be made clear to the player with the role, even if it means sacrificing aesthetics or conciseness.

1 Like

Technically correct is the worst kind of correct! As a host it is your job to make the operations of your game clear to your players, not just nominally on the page in a way that only tracks for people extremely familiar with BotC.

(And even Amelia and Magnus assumed my abilities would stop working if I were dead or Drunk. I don’t think this is even an issue of my lack of familiarity. It was just not intuitive.)

Well okay

I literally did not know what your exact ability was, it follows all precedent set when i examine the wording

1 Like

You should not have to closely examine in mafia!!!

(Not your own rolecard to understand what your own ability does, at least)

i understand and it is a host failing but i think its because i was too uninvested in the game to be able to actively clear up misconceptions

and i dont blame myself because i signed up to cohost precisely because i knew i couldnt handle mainhosting due to my inability to invest time

time to drop this out of context

basically like
i fully understand and agree i just didnt have the time to mainhost the game and since i was cohosting and not mainhosting i set some boundaries for myself so i didnt bomb my mental health

1 Like

so like i know its a hosting end problem and i accept that but i also dont take blame for only skimming the gamethread at times where i felt like my mental health would tank if i went in too deep, so i didnt notice

1 Like

Is a solder immune to being a mario

no because if the soldier is a mario then theres no soldier in the game so theyre not immune to anything

2 Likes

tldr “i know the quality of my hosting was subpar if i ran it alone but i knew from the start i couldnt run a game like this alone”

Hindsight bias