banned

4 Likes

download any yakuza game it contains a virus that forces you to learn mahjong

4 Likes

Discar d tiles

2 Likes

Visit https://mahjongsoul.game.yo-star.com/ for more catgirls

2 Likes

Text explanation of mahjong is difficult… also I’m in a game so I have to tab over to discard cause 5-second turn timers. You’re dealt a hand of 14 tiles, your goal is to sort that hand into a valid winning one, consisting of 4 melds (a set of either 3 identical tiles, or a run of 3 consecutive numeric tiles in the same suit) and a pair. Each turn you draw a tile and discard a tile, you keep going until someone wins, then the hand’s over. That’s the like extreme basics.

1 Like

You can also call tiles off of other players - if someone discards a tile and you need it to complete a meld, you can take it, with some restrictions. You can always* call a tile if that’s the last one you need to win; if you call your win off another player’s discard, they have to pay out all the points for your winning hand. You don’t wanna discard tiles other players need to win! Very scary stuff!

For non-winning tiles, you can call triplets off any player, but you can only call sequences off the player to your left. Remembering this doesn’t really matter in online mahjong. Either you see the button or you don’t.

If you call a tile, you have to place the meld it’s part of face-up next to you, and it’s “stuck” there. You can’t change a meld once you’ve called it. Open hands - hands in which you’ve made a call - are also worth fewer points, and in riichi mahjong, there are restrictions on what kinds of open hands you can win with.

1 Like

fun guilty gear fact one of testament’s hobbies is mahjong

1 Like

i am technically cheating because testament has 36 hobbies

1 Like

let me pull up the list

Fashion magazines, DIY, collecting makeup, plastic modeling (esp. giant robots), sightseeing, fishing, pottery, river trekking, road biking, appreciating opera, weight training, fortune-telling, bonsai, gardening, watching wrestling, baking, mahjong, painting (not well), embroidery, mountain climbing, nail art, golfing, star-gazing, touring hot springs, board games, writing sci-fi novels, barbecue, belly dance, beach volleyball, watching baseball, making dollhouses, liquor (they’re a non-drinker), snowboarding, watching shark B-movies, collecting occult trinkets, scrapbooks

1 Like

That’s pretty much everything you need to know to play Hong Kong mahjong, aside from scoring, which you can kind of ignore at first - if you’re playing against beginners, you can just win first every round, and it doesn’t matter how valuable their hands are, because they’ll never call them.

You cannot ignore scoring in riichi mahjong! Hand conditions which give extra points are called “yaku”, and every single hand needs a yaku to be able to win.

Certain types of tiles are inherently yaku: a triplet of the red, green, or white dragons, or of the East* wind, or of your assigned seat wind (visible in front of you) are called yakuhai, and any hand containing them is valid to win. You can also get yaku by having all simples: only numbers 2-8 in your hand, no 1s, no 9s, no non-numbered (honour) tiles.

Aside from these, the easiest yaku to get is the titular mechanic of riichi mahjong, riichi. If you make no calls from other players, keeping your hand completely closed, and you’re 1 away from winning, you can declare “riichi”, making a bet of 1000 points that you’ll be able to win with the exact hand you’ve got: no changing it around, just drawing and discarding until you win. Riichi is risky, because it locks you in to your exact current hand and announces to other players that you’re close to winning (so they should watch their discards), but it is inherently yaku and can increase the scoring value of your hand in various other ways.

1 Like

i think this applies to any point based game

1 Like

THE CHARACTERS SAY NYAA

1 Like

I have played HK mahjong you can just kind of go by vibes if the people you’re playing with aren’t particularly good