Cookie Thread Act 3: The Cookie Strikes Back

i just finished my exam / internship, i passed

mixed feelings about the guy (sexist mentor i mentioned a few days ago)

two bad things and one good. i’ll start with the bad

one minor thing that miffed me was that he explicitly told us to ask him for help and gave us his number too not just email. i sent him an email with a question at 3 PM yesterday. today we presented at 4 PM. he didn’t reply to me but i was cool with it, i figured something out, and I didn’t bring it up. He slightly scolded me today for sending him that email, he said “These things are not asked so late. I was busy. You should have asked this sooner.”

the bigger thing was our task. all people had the same task. here it is translated in english:

Create a task management app (to do list) that includes functionality to add, edit and delete tasks. The main idea is to make it possible to attach the tasks to specific dates in the calendar. Functionalities:

1. The main page should display a calendar showing current tasks.
  2. The tasks must be allocated to the relevant days, and users must to be able to see all tasks for a specific month.
  3. A form for adding a new task with fields for entering a title, description and date.
  4. Users can select a date for the task via a calendar.
  5. Users should be able to edit an existing task.
  6. When editing, the ability to change the title, description and date should be provided.
  7. Users should be able to see details of each task on a separate page.
  8. The details page should display a title, description and date.
  9. Use proper project structure with controllers, views, and models.
  10. Enter a task priority field and use it to sort the list.

He heavily scolded me and another team for not storing the data for the tasks in a database. I stored it in an array which was reset when shutting down the app. That’s all that was necessary, from my understanding, when reading the assignment. I was solo; another team also understood it the same as me. The other two teams implemented databases. So there was a 50/50 split on understanding what he wants. He constantly repeated “Guys, it’s obvious. It’s logical. You are seniors. You have studied this. You should know how to do this. I want a functioning app that stores the data after I close it.”

It was frustrating just how unwilling he was to admit fault and shift it to us.

Lastly, the positive thing is that he was merciful and let everyone pass. Including one guy who did literally nothing. That guy claimed to have written 15 lines of code. The teacher asked him plenty of questions about how that code works, the guy mumbled and didn’t know what to say. I think he didn’t even understand how to work in the IDE (Android Studio). But this was a very important exam (internship), we are not allowed to retake it, if anyone fails their graduation is delayed by one year, and they must wait until next year to retake it. So it is nice of him that he didn’t fuck someone up like that.

I specifically want to ping the people I know that code @Ash @Zugzwang @Someone to share my frustrations with the assignment requirements. They are so crystal clear about all the minor tidbits about the rest of the app, but not a single mention of the word database.

4 Likes

@TodaysStory I’m sorry I forgot about you. I keep forgetting you’re smart. I have this image of you as a crackhead goblin, as you know very well.

2 Likes

Congratulations tutuu.

Now you have a diploma and you’re also given the green light to create mafia boss 99 games that are heavily advertised and also misleading and most importantly, to store the client’s data in an array as soon as the player in question inserts their credit card (It’s illegal but well, app control commitees does nuffing about it)

1 Like

i have a few more exams left

Do you know if the guy actually knows how to code?

2 Likes

cuz a lot of times the recruiters don’t know shit about coding, or its some dude in upper management who hasn’t written code in over a decade.

2 Likes

The student who did nothing or the teacher/mentor? He’s not really a teacher, he does know how to code, he is the CEO of a software firm here. I don’t think he’s incompetent in his field. Just … a bunch of annoying things about him

2 Likes

The mentor yea

1 Like

Yea feels like a guy who didnt want to admit to overlooking something lmao

2 Likes

Maybe he’s here to hire y’all after you’re done

1 Like

yeah it doesn’t make sense to say “oh i want a functioning app!” when it’s an assignment that people aren’t going to actually use
there’s plenty of assignments that deliberately simplify things if it isn’t helpful to have students write everything

3 Likes

Would sound like a good strategy if you’re in need of employees. Help students graduate and then hire them

1 Like

exactly!!!

it’s not a real app. it’s a student project! i’m not selling an app! you aren’t actually going to use my app! if you wanted me to show knowledge of databases just say so!

3 Likes

How dare you email him later than his available time

1 Like

In other news, I have an american friend that went to an IT uni, his class was full of students that barely even knew how to code despite being late into the uni years.

How is that even possible?

3 Likes

also :flushed: me about to store all the data in really scuffed csv files instead of sane formats

2 Likes

(there’s some things in terminal of lies that work like this. i didn’t realize i should use jsons yet)

1 Like

What the csv format do

2 Likes

uni doesnt teach you how to code, it teaches you so much theoretical nonsense its insane

1 Like

legit at most 5-15% of things you learn in uni will be even remotely useful

1 Like