Cookie Thread Act 3: The Cookie Strikes Back

these discussions are fun
we should put them in mafia games

1 Like

i think both questions have to deal with the same thing
both have to do with little effort/money you have to spend to do something at a small cost to yourself that makes a big difference in someonee elses life

1 Like

It’s still cope though

HE LITERALLY WRITES IN THE ESSAY ABOUT HOW YOU SHOULD DONATE ALL YOUR MONEY UNTIL THE MARGINAL UTILITY LOST FROM DONATING WOULD BE MORE THAN THE MARGINAL UTILITY THEY WOULD GAIN FROM YOUR MONEY. AND HE WAS TALKING ABOUT LIKE WAR REFUGEES SO. YOU’D HAVE TO MAKE YOURSELF VERY DESTITUTE TO HIT THAT POINT. HE’S NOT DESTITUTE. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH BOZO

3 Likes

do you think you could follow your logic but, like, partially? like instead of donating all your money to charity (obviously very impractical), you could donate 10% of your income to charity? (or if you don’t make enough to donate 10%, pick some other smaller number that you could actually do)

1 Like

I won’t have an extensive disability politics discussion in the cookie thread

2 Likes

sorry i just. fucking hate peter singer

1 Like

it’s morally correct to do so

dude this is like comparing the 2 trolley problem varients, one you swap a lever to save 5 ppl and kill one, the other you push a fat man onto the tracks to stop the train and save 5 people

3 Likes

just so you guys know
there is a cosnistent factor at the end
we will probabbly fail it soooo hard

probably though i mean. that does not change the dissonance of “you could always do x more and you are still obligated to do so”

its very different

I will say that the way disability is treated as a rhetorical device is soooo annoying

5 Likes

I disagree
The buff isn’t this good but if I could trade my eyes to double my hearing power level, i would do so in a heartbeat

1 Like

and they are the same tbthbthbththbthtbhtbhtbt nya nya nya

yes, along with every other human who didn’t do it. because the sum is quite low. but its not something that’d have to worry about in a real situation, the costs for these things is way bigger

you don’t wanna know how he treats disability in his other works

1 Like

strictly speaking the question was “are you responsible for the continued blindness of the person” not “that, and also that’s bad,” you could think it’s a good thing but that you’re still responsible for it (although if you consider blindness better than non-blindness it seems to me that some of your decisions are theoretically suboptimal under your values)

1 Like

disablity was probably the most thought provoking one i could do
it needed to be life changing and “death” doesn’t quite work for life changing since it’s death

I know if I go save the kid I saved the kid, how do I know my money actually goes to the cause and not the board members of the charity

1 Like