Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

'specially if a dev wants to do something similar to it

they wont wanna make it have the same gameplay style as persona, i think, due to people either calling it uninspired or competition with the base game

1 Like

The more you try to erase me, the more, the more
The more that I appear, oh, the more, the more
The more I try to erase you, the more, the more
The more that you appear

I don’t think it necessarily needs to be dungeon-crawling per se, but I think the juxtaposition of gameplay that maintains the same fundamental structure - making decisions that will have broader impacts either upon your social life or upon the outcome of battle - is what defines Persona in my eyes.

1 Like

Like a lot of Persona 4 is about laying bare a person’s normally sublimated desires.

Spoilers

Sublimation is taking an impulse or desire and turning it into something that’s more socially acceptable. Much of Persona’s nomenclature, including its title, is pulled straight out of Jung’s persona theory of psychology: the persona is a socially constructed mask we put on to conceal our true “shadow self” from the world.

Rise wants to believe her true self is a soft-spoken girl, but she likes being a bold attention seeking idol. Kanji sees himself as a masculine straight man, but has a softer, more feminine side and it’s heavily implied he likes men. Naoto wants to be taken seriously and pretends to be a boy, but he sometimes thinks he actually wants to be a boy.

Their shadow selves are taken to the extreme. Rise’s shadow is sexualized and in a literal strip club. Kanji’s shadow is very effeminate, obsessed with men, and in a literal bath house. Naoto’s shadow self is going to perform a sex change operation on herself in lab. The end result is a soft acceptance: they each acknowledge that their shadow selves are a part of them. But they fucking disavow the whole thing the shadow self was about? I’ve ranted about Kanji and Naoto before. Kanji is not textually gay, he never explicitly says it, they cut his romance with the male MC, and he had a crush on Naoto who turned out to be a “girl”. Girl is in quotes there because Naoto’s thing is like learning to be more girly as you spend time with her and I fucking hate it. If you romance her your reward is seeing her in a dress on Christmas or something it’s so fucked.

It’s just so fuckin close to being interesting and cool and good, but no it’s just the same comphet bullshit. Kanji should accept that he can like sewing or whatever, but being horny for dudes is too far. Naoto can want to be taken more seriously, but transitioning to be a man is far too extreme and you don’t really want that. All the stuff that seems borderline progressive is just intended to be shocking and subversive without any actual substance.

3 Likes

Caught my water bottle before it could spill on my daily “knocking over my water bottle and spilling it on my electronics” random event

at least it didn’t hit your head

1 Like

Your electronics are thirsty May

They’re used to their daily water! You can’t just take it away from them

1 Like

This one is plastic and not glass :/

plasic? like fake plastic trees by radiohead?

glass? like life in a glass house by radiohead?

:sob:

house? like

1 Like

Youbutworse? Like You (Drill Version) from the debut radiohead EP drill? That’s vastly outclassed by the song known as just “You” from pablo honey?

2 Likes

worse? like Radiohead’s discography compared to other musicians?

sorry i had to be mean i don’t mean it

1 Like

Other musicians? I thought you just copied everything I liked

No amount of alcohol can make me shut the fuck up about radiohead

i was listening to club penguin creep way before u were even listening to radiohead

Let’s talk about who used the ENA pfp first then huh