im still open to associating with you and being ur friend and shit

just not if you’re a fascist or racist or transphobic

1 Like

well that’s students

i think its shocking that the politics class goes over that

1 Like

even if it makes sense

its just shocking that people recognize it makes sense

i love math but i wish they didn’t keep trying to shove it down our throats. i mean, i’m friends with someone who likes algebra, but why would you bring that up in a classroom full of children

3 Likes

oh also note that it has to be overt
im not gonna cut someone off because they said something out of “oh i didnt know that”
but if they say it out of “I am willfully ignoring the facts”

lmao

anyways i have to sleep but I… will… return…

← this user has succesfully done one paragraph of their speech

1 Like

anyway i hate math right now because pdes only makes use of it in its most inscrutable forms

i hate math less than i did before because i got hard carried by being given answers to write down because i attended a study session today

1 Like

https://gametheorytest.com/gerry/

1 Like

Gerrymandering has a long history, and not all of it necessarily negative. It has used to create black majority districts to give them representation (affirmative gerrymandering). For the most part, it is used as a tool to control the outcome of elections though, usually in a negative way.

Proportional representation may not work that well in the US. There are two issues in play with the first being the Reapportionment Act of 1929 that’s frozen the number of representatives in the House at 435 for nearly a decade. The second is the Apportionment paradox. A lot of states have so few representatives that proportional representation is either going to not do anything or make things weirdly less representative because of how the vote percentages divide into the total number of seats and how you’re rounding. We’d likely need to remove the cap on House seats, and dramatically increase the number of seats given per however many people in the state. This is also unlikely to be a political winner because it would require House representatives to self-immolate and significantly dilute their power. It would also reduce the power of smaller states because each state is guaranteed a minimum of 2 seats, but as the number of total seats increases, the flat 2 matters less and less.

I think the best electoral change we could have in the US is implemented a ranked voting system (specifically Borda count and NOT instant run-off (IRV) because IRV sucks for a variety of complicated reasons). This still creates more representative results while avoiding the Apportionment paradox all together because the elected candidates are more representative of the average beliefs of the electorate.

1 Like

Huh

4 Likes