Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

You just don’t put a cotton swab in your ears. If you’re already overdoing it and you’re trapped in the vicious cycle, you’re probably going to have to gradually reduce the amount you do it so your body can ratchet down production to normal levels.

2 Likes

Water

1 Like

that cant be effective

1 Like

if something that was expected to happen at 6 PM, but happens at 5 PM, one would say that it happened “ahead of time” or “ahead of schedule”. If it happened at 7 PM, one would say it was “behind schedule”. I think that it’s certainly a consistent English idiomatic way of describing it.

doctor, more mouse bites

The opposite of ahead is ‘behind’. Ahead is “forward in linear space”. So to push time forward, in a liner sense, is to push it to the next hour. I do think Ahead is the wrong word to use

2 Likes

“Push it an hour earlier” and “push it an hour later” are the best tho imho (besides just saying the time)

3 Likes

If you’re second in line at a store, the first person in line is ahead of you and you are behind them. From the perspective of the clerk at the counter, it is also true that the first person in line is ahead of you and you are behind them. To push something an hour ahead to push it forward in line (the sequence). It makes sense if you view as a sequence that’s approaching the current moment in time rather from the perspective of the moment in time itself.

2 Likes

my argument is that this is silly

some people may naturally view things in that way but I very much do not

If someone says “push” it sorta has the connotation that you’re moving something BACK. So in this case I think it matters which of “push” and “ahead” your mind prioritizes, and the phrasing itself is bad

Tbh I also don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say they’ll “push something ahead an hour” - it’s always “move,” which is so much easier to follow logically imo

4 Likes

Like “pull” is towards you, and “push” is away from you

Why would you say you’re pushing something towards you thats dumb

Got my fourth one! (One by one… We will get there eventually!)

I understood from context here that they wanted it an hour later cause I said I might be late to the match b/c traffic. But. Still unclear

1 Like

Yeah I think this is the confusing word choice here more than “ahead” is.

1 Like

same reason why 100% of them were wrong for the liar one

1 Like

the may bias is real

I ANSWERED “I DON’T KNOW”

Honestly I can’t deduce why I think it’s 5 pm

MAY
BIAS

1 Like