Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

Ur so cracked

3 Likes

The point of the question was to highlight that players can choose to not engage in the added possibility space that PRs add, but evaluating complexity as “players will engage with this as minimally as possible” means that no game could ever be more complex than mountainous. Your opinion that it is optimal for VTs to play as normally as possible, and if most players evaluate it similarly, I would agree that it doesn’t meaningfully change play patterns and doesn’t add complexity per se. However, the Cop 13er setup with the random N0 peek had a persistent meta during champs and on MU for years where everyone played in a manner that was more complex than just the social deduction gameplay for usually 1 to 3 game days, 4 at an extreme. After the cop dies or outs, there is a reduction in complexity based on the exact circumstances. Those game days, in the specific cop cover meta I am referring to at least, are significantly more complex than mountainous, including with social reads because there is a layer of PR play involved.

Now, a cop outing/dying accelerates the typical simplification that happens as a game goes on. I think we both agree on that and it seems obvious and non-controversial. I would argue that it is more significant to talk about the complexity of a game when it’s most complex (usually early game), and that it’s important to consider the probability of players engaging with that complexity, and the duration of that increased complexity. In my experience, the more complex play patterns of the Cop 13er were the ones used exclusively in the places I played, and I therefore evaluate that as making it likely that players will choose to engage with the potential complexity of PR play. I additional complexity usually lasts about half the game, but I disagree with the notion that it’s trivial when the cop is removed from play. There are just fewer players to consider which is meaningful, but is by no means a guarantee. I’m not even getting into the potential for real wacky shit like wolf counter claims and role swaps (I’ve seen both, done one of them myself), and again, you can think it’s incorrect, that’s fine, but frankly all evidence I have available to me says that you’re in the minority on that front. Adding a cop to the setup can and does add potential complexity because I’ve both subjectively experienced it and observed it a ton.

HOW LONG HAVE THE WINRATE COLUMNS IN MY PIVOT TABLE BEEN EXTREMELY BROKEN

3 Likes

2 Likes

Oh only mildly broken nevermind

bionic when someone asks them “what r ur reads” and bionic remembers they signed up for mountainous

3 Likes

was fireemblem.gba mafia 16 irl days. how is stellaris one of the shorter games in that timespan

1 Like

i would like to point out that 16 days is a longer irl timespan than the 63 player extremely townsided game with no itas

It was 24/24

It was 18p

that still implies the game went. 8 day night phases

Yes

I likely weigh the expanded possibility space and skill expression higher than you do being a player that tends to deeply engage with mechanical play. I love doing shit like finding the cop as VT, discreetly signaling to the Cop I know they’re the Cop, then wait until the right moment to claim Cop (as VT) with real checks to eat the bullet. You cannot do that kind of play in Mountainous, and, if pulled off, increases win equity of the village. It’s just a non-trivial axis of play that gets added with the cop therefore it’s a more complex setup even if it’s generally easier for the villager to collectively win.

which is admittedly fewer day night phases than the hell game mentioned above. but the phases were mercifully significantly shorter there. whenever the host wasn’t afk or inevitably taking hours to process actions in a SIXTY THREE PLAYER ROLE MADNESS GAME. have i mentioned they were solo hosting

Who would do that to themself wtf

1 Like

Kinda wanna play a cop13er now ngl lmfao

2 Likes

Tbf I have been attempting to address the axiomatic differences and asked questions attempting to find where we’re disagreeing on that front.

why play such a complex setup when you can play something simple like mafia universe anni 2024

1 Like

it’s hard to explain arjun to people who haven’t interacted with him. but the answer is arjun

Also is orange okay? The thread looked a little deranged there for a bit

1 Like