Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

silent protags only work in valve games tbh

1 Like

no not the woman, the vegetables

but also i came back to say

THE ONE BROKEN SKITTLE

THE PILL OF MY E THAT A PIECE BROKE OFF OF THAT GOT CRUSHED INTO POWDER IN THE CAP THAT I SNORTED

I SAW IT AGAIN TODAY

I HAVEN’T SEEN IT IN SO LONG

2 Likes

it’s like my own little eclipse sighting

so hype

1 Like

Silent Protags work in like
FPSes and other games where you’re essentially just a vessel for gameplay over plot

But RPGs? Fuck you, if other characters are voiced let me be voiced as well. (Exception MMOs but that’s largely technical afaik)

2 Likes

every series should do it the mario and luigi way where the protag(s) is voiced but exclusively in their silly little phrases

4 Likes

No

1 Like

kinda cooking…

1 Like

so thoughts on undertale

1 Like

I might not live in the US, but that doesn’t stop me watching the eclipse without screwing up my eyes.

Undertale isn’t voiced and the player character doesn’t talk anyway

All in all a solid 8/10 game

okay wait a second what do you mean by voiced. i thought you were talking about like lines
they do have voices though. they have beeps. frisk doesnt have any beeps
my point is Undertale has a silent protagonist

1 Like

Link is probably the best known mute protagnonist.

Abdomo so brete

im trying to think of a silent protaganist alignment chart but i cant think of the other axis

Silence purist: Character cannot have any description of words or thoughts (Chell)

Silence neutral: Character may have thoughts about the world around them, but does not voice those thoughts to other characters or only speaks in response to other characters (i.e dialgoue choices) (Frisk)

Silence rebel: Character may freely speak to other characters and may even be voiced (Leon RE4)

1 Like

there are instances in which deltarune’s protagonist talks, you must be a big fan :)

2 Likes

when?
i mustve missed it

1 Like

I am having trouble articulating the difference, but Undertale is really trying to interact with the player directly rather than indirectly. It’s like about making a feel things as a result of their choices, and that’s the what it is. A game with a largely fixed narrative that’s mostly telling a story around player choices I’d rather them just tell me a story and actually say something. The difference here is probably one of execution. Like with FE3H I think you could just make a better game with Byleth had more of a personality and voiced dialogue.

1 Like

I mean voiced as in voice actors saying things as the characters they are representing

Beeps as the text scrolls across the screen does not count as being voiced. But I get the argument that Frisk (and Kris) deserve text scroll beeps since other characters got them.

so

persona