Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

new idea: every video game should have a voiced protagonist who always has the option to be a total asshole for some reason a la yu narukami

2 Likes

Also what notblackorwhite said

Thereā€™s a difference between games that are essentially talking to the Player (VNs, Undertale, games where the player avatar is really just a vessel for gameplay) and games where the player avatar is a genuine honest to god character in the gameā€™s world that exists outside of the player.

Link is the synthesis of both and just confuses the whole mess.

(And I desire greater advancements such that games with majorly customized player avatars are capable of actually speaking, but that could kind of be seen as a pro-ai position for Obvious Reasons)

1 Like

what about kris deltarune

1 Like

the other axis is protagonist

1 Like

duh

deltarune is very much a game that talks to the player instead of kris. but kris is an entity that exists independently of the player and, depending on your choices, might start to hate you

it could be argued that you are the protagonist instead of kris, but when you do speak (not often) you do it through their voice

protagonist purist - the main character of the game

protagonist neutral - someone who is a party member or helpful to the main character of the game at some point during the game

protagonist rebel - someone who is an antagonist or never helps the protagonist during the game

3 Likes

its a difference of execution i know that but its a way to make a silent protagonist work is what i mean

I canā€™t talk about Deltarune because my experience with it is summed up as

ā€œI played the opening minutes of it and correctly guessed the mcā€™s name because that was what I named my character in Undertale and didnā€™t know until like a few days later when I saw a fancomic for itā€

1 Like

I think the two extremes here

The player is the character, and the choices the character makes have a meaningful and noticeable effect on the narrative and the world. Characters who are aware of these choices must react differently do them and have a different relationship to your character.

The player is a spectator of the character. No choices the player makes meaningfully changes the character, the narrative, or the world. If characters react, itā€™s at most a throwaway line or they donā€™t romance you or whatever. If the story changes, itā€™s superficial, probably at most a different epilogue slide.

Silent protagonists suck when itā€™s closer to the latter.

1 Like

Yeah

i should be a silent protagonist

1 Like

Just take a vow of silence / be selectively mute ez

i have some INCREDIBLE news

Lmao

marluxion ? that name sounds familiar. i have seen that name before

1 Like

probably in the news? he got alot of coverage after he got caught burning down a church in missouri

3 Likes

Would be an improvement

2 Likes

Harsh

1 Like