simply go deaf :sunglasses:

1 Like

Dont take my ears :frowning:

Too real

1 Like

i think may is the only person in the world who likes the sound of their voice

3 Likes

Very possible

I kind of found the opposite. When I didn’t htink about myself and my motivations for doing things I’d just mould them into my understandings of others.

Like, for example, I hate saying “I’m sorry” in a lot of situations. I don’t dislike apologising. I don’t dislike admitting fault. But “I’m sorry” often makes me flinch? Specifically in situations where I accidentally, like, emotionally hurt or insulted somebody.

For a while, having not thought about it at all, I was always just like “oh I must dislike apologising in this scenario because I don’t like being wrong, that’s a bad trait, I have to force myself out of it”. And then I thought about it for a while. And I actually don’t dislike it for those reasons - the “admitting to being wrong” part is the easy one, I can say “I acted incorrectly and I apologise for it”, I just can’t say “I’m sorry”.

And then I realised it’s because I hate the social script of performing… personal upset at having hurt another person? It makes me feel like I’m making it all about me, and how bad I feel because I accidentally hurt somebody, and that makes me uncomfortable. People do it to me all the time, I try to make a gentle correction about how they talk about, like, my disability or something, and then they’re like “oh no I’m SO sorry I feel SO bad” and it’s like… that wasn’t a big deal to me, you are more hurt than I was, I wish I never brought this up, and it’s awkward.

And having thought about it enabled me to, like, stop forcing myself to mask “I hate this social script because of its literal meaning” and start. Just. Giving apologies that were more comfortable for me, that followed my “I acted incorrectly and I won’t do it again” rather than “oh noooo I feel so baaaad” (provided it’s not a situation where there’s severe enough consequences for not conforming that I Gotta). Unmask. It helped.

4 Likes

Yeah

That sounds like something I should do

Specifically my accent is like, less rhotic than most people Around me and when I was a kid I thought it make me sound more childish. But I’ve now realised it doesn’t. I just sound less American. That’s fine by me

1 Like

I say “I’m sorry” too much that it’s just habit at this point

FOR OTHER THINGS

IRL

Mostly around my parents I think?
Or in a “sorry that sounds wrong” way

mm yeah i can totally see how it would work out like that

unfortunately for me, for a long time my brain would take self-discoveries like that and, rather than use them affirmingly, just go “here’s how you’re going off script and what it looks like to others, now get the fuck back on script”

so it was kinda a vicious cycle in the wrong direction

but with the right mindset, knowing yourself better is obviously a very good thing

2 Likes

Yeah

you live near boston this is an incredibly low bar

1 Like

Is a Boston accent not distinctly less rhotic htan most Americna accents

1 Like

this fol user knows linguistics

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t flinch at, like, lighthearted “sorry about that”, “sorry I’m late”, etc. In fact I abuse the word “sorry” all the time. Even when I’m not sorry. Because phrasing something as an apology makes poeple more receptive to it. I love criticising people by means of apology. But in specific scenarios of like, accidentally upsetting someone and doing a Serious Big Apology about it, “sorry” often feels both like

1. making it all about my own feelings in response to having upset them, rather than my incorrect behaviours which caused the other person harm, which are what matter to me, and
  2. confessing some kind of malicious intent? If there’s a genuine misunderstanding, I usually feel like I have nothing to apologise for (and the other person has nothing to apologise for, we just miscommunicated), these things happen, it was mutual and nobody’s fault. Explicitly giving a Traditional Apology where I imply that I did something wrong feels like I’m implying that I had some kind of bad intention. Which I didn’t, and I don’t want people to think I did
1 Like

Yeah fair