Cookie Thread Act 6: Cookie & Thread

the chaos of the knuckleball comes from the fact that removing the spin from the pitch makes it unfathomably susceptible to changing course from the slightest turbulence

baseball is one of the only sports where you can have a 40% success rate on offense and be considered great. if a basketball player hit 40% of their jump shots their ass is getting cut

also George Kirby has thrown exactly one knuckleball. which sounds fucking wrong considering that guy’s philosophy is that he hates Walks more than literally anything. but he did it as a tribute to Tim Wakefield, which I fucking love

isnt this most sports

1 Like

no, actually
an american football team scores 60% of the time when it has the ball

1 Like

hockey, football, maybe boxing if you count that

1 Like

and the thing is that you can have around a .300 batting average in baseball, failing 70% of the time, and still be considered excellent if you hit for home runs

1 Like

oh i consider on base percentage for my success rate calcs. walks/hbps are forms of success, just perhaps less exciting ones

i disagree being beaned is a noble art

you know what the most hype way to score in baseball is? the fucking BALK
this is now a BALK chat

1 Like

Do you also watch Smartypants?

that’s right we’re talking about balks again. the balk rule is beautiful

…the Dropout show? no, I don’t have Dropout yet

I watched an episode last night where someone said the thing about a .300 being excellent almost word for word.

one of my favorite things is gaming the elite stats. technically the best possible thing you can do for FIP (fielding independent pitching) involves one of your players committing an error

this is because FIP uses strikeouts per innings pitched instead of strikeout percentage for some reason. meaning that to optimize FIP it’s in your best interest to get more than three strikeouts per inning. which is possible if your catcher fucks up

This was in the context of Michael Jordan not actually sucking at baseball, but actually being incredible in the context of him not playing baseball for 15 years and being mediocre in his first year in the majors. It’s honestly insane in that framing.

1 Like

balks are very simple. if you start doing the thing you can’t stop doing the thing. don’t do that

1 Like

MJ never played in the majors

1 Like

and make no mistake, he was bad in the minor leagues. just fucking incredible for someone who is incidentally also the greatest basketball player of all time

1 Like