Cookie Thread Act 6: Cookie & Thread

oh
that’s less bad than I thought
I… can see a way where you compute every partial derivative of order 6 or less manually, and that prooooooooobably works (assuming my thought on how to do multivariable taylor series is correct)

that is probably a Bad way to do it though

That’s a lot of fucking partials

1 Like

yeah the only way it’d be reasonable is if everything cancelled really nicely
which… it might do, based on some thoughts and wolfram’s answer

I just lied and said all of them have a sin(~) in them so they’re all zero

1 Like

Because I didnt want to do the problem

I need to talk to those guys I know in the class so I can have wise advisors on my side

the first partial (of any variable) should be 0 because the cos(stuff) becomes -sin(stuff) * stuff’, and stuff(0, 0, 0) = 0

this should also work for the third and fifth partials

I think this is plausible but I didn’t know it was true so by my principles it’s a lie

1 Like

Second-order derivatives also all have a sin(~) in them

1 Like
3 Likes

For the record the other problems on this thing are like

{F303BD7A-B5B2-4C1A-9DB4-5FB0B291528F}
{35BAD1F9-7F4D-4838-B646-4BB29CA185D6}
{49255E95-4376-47A0-8872-9B1D2682EA1B}

{F06CD83E-E42B-46F9-BC55-22A03DA5E211}

LITERALLY FINE it’s just this one that’s decided to fuck with you for no reason and make you hell calculate a ubnch of numbers because you go “surely this is also easy”

1 Like

i know what functional forms means :) (lying)

2 Likes

Ever heard of the saying “form over function”? Ever heard of “centrism”?

I don’t know either but I’m just assuming “x(., .) has a known functional form” means “you can write x(., .) = some function of the inputs”

If we were explicitly told what a functional form was I didn’t remember it but I made this same assumption

1 Like

1 Like

it’s been a while since i’ve done calc 3 idr how to do that problem. i assume the partial derivatives end up being nice somehow

theres three of them??

ohhh. those functional forms. like. “we know what x, y, and g are in forms of functions”