Cookie Thread Act 6: Cookie & Thread

cont.

AND IM SO FUCKING TIRED OF THE BLUE BADGER MUSIC ITS SO BAD AND I WAS FORCED TO LISTEN TO THAT FOR FUCKING EVER AHHHHHHH

4 Likes

hi

im gay

jail

youre going to… kill somebody?

judge!

4 Likes

hi what do u need

Yeah that one is generally agreed to be really badly designed. I’m not sure why they didn’t fix it in the Steam release

3 Likes

In this game’s defense, it follows it up with a genuinely devastating twist.

1 Like
major ace attorney episode 5 spoilers

does like. manslaughter not exist in this game. like any trial against ema for accidentally killing the marshal would result in her serving like almost no time. itd be super traumatic yeah but like thats it. why do people in the ace attorney universe always accidentally commit a crime and then they’re like “well fuck guess i gotta commit to everything now” instead of like accepting the very low punishment

3 Likes

From what I understand, being convicted or even suspected of a crime in the Ace Attorney world carries extremely strong social stigma, even more so than in the real world. If Ema takes the manslaughter deal, she’s never stepping foot anywhere near forensics work ever again.

1 Like
spoilers cont

she was 14 theyll get over it

2 Likes
Spoilers

did you see what they were about to do to edgeworth for the high crime of “throwing a gun in a stressful situation at age 10 and it accidentally shooting his dad.”

2 Likes

can i click this im not done with ep 5 yet

1 Like

ace attorney

It’s 1-4 spoilers, so yeah.

1 Like
Summary

thats exactly the type of shit im talking about! like bro it was an ACCIDENT THOSE HAPPEn, get over it! he didn’t even kill his dad

2 Likes

finally proof that i’m special

5 Likes
ace attorney legal system analysis, contains VERY VAGUE spoilers for future games

it’s complicated

in terms of the actual in-universe law, “justified self-defense” is established in later games to exist as a defense to murder, but strongly implied to still carry significant legal penalties (albeit less severe than murder). Involuntary manslaughter is established in a much later game to exist as a charge, but that’s several years in the future so it’s possible that was the result of legal reforms.

I think you can ~semi-reasonably reconcile these if you imagine that

1. the Ace Attorney universe has strict mandatory minimum sentences for any crime involving homicide – this is pretty plausible with what we know, and would mean that even if Ema is ultimately convicted just of manslaughter or something she would still spend a lot of time in prison (real Japan has a minimum of 3 years for involuntary manslaughter, and the Ace Attorney justice system is suggested to be especially strict/stricter than the real world in some respects so it would likely be longer)
  2. the prosecutor + police would have significant influence over the sentence – this isn’t necessary, but if you imagine that e.g. von Karma would have significant input into Edgeworth’s sentence, you can see how that might End Badly for him even if he’s ultimately convicted of the crime of “accidentally killing someone while nine years old”

supposedly Japanese self-defense law (and especially defense of other people law) is much more restrictive than the US, I’m unsure how accurate that is but that could also account for some of the difference?

3 Likes

and like Ema is 15 or 16 depending on how you reconcile her listed age with her comment about turning 16 this year – even if she’s “only” sentenced to five years in prison, that would… definitely be traumatizing for a 16 year old lol

2 Likes
1-3 spoilers only

anyways Dee Vasquez did nothing* wrong. in this essay I will

* apart from the blackmail and the being a gang leader and the threats. but like the actual “murder” she committed was literally just straightforwardly self-defense

3 Likes