Cookie Thread Act 6: Cookie & Thread

The Constitution establishes the supreme Court as the highest federal court. There is no real way to reduce their jurisdiction to be less than all federal laws and constitutionality of state laws without an amendment

(Edit: Turns out the Article 3 section 2 carves out space for Congress to make exceptions to their jurisdiction!)

4 Likes

Yeah basically the only way to sidestep the court is with a constitutional amendment

Which is “good luck”

“In all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, and those in which a state shall be party, the Supreme Court shall have original jurisdiction. In all the other cases before mentioned, the Supreme Court shall have appellate jurisdiction, both as to law and fact, with such exceptions, and under such regulations as the Congress shall make.

The trial of all crimes, except in cases of impeachment, shall be by jury; and such trial shall be held in the state where the said crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any state, the trial shall be at such place or places as the Congress may by law have directed.”

I don’t know what this means with regards to the state being a party

1 Like

This is the most notable part

oh “party” just means defendant or prosecution basically

I know that
I mean like, some cases the state aren’t a party
When does the state sue?

1 Like

idk

If I’m understanding this correctly, Congress could make it so they cannot hear cases about, I dunno, abortion, and the only way the Supreme Court would get around this is if the state is a party

How does the state even become a party thoufg

1 Like

appellate juridstiction means that you have to appeal to get there and cannot introduce new evidence i think
the supreme court would still have juridstiction over every part of the nation that has an appeals court though, because in order to regulate the appeallate juridstiction you would have to modify it for every appeals court too

i think

yeah but the state is a party if you are suing a law

Untrue acfually
Congress has passed a law that denied Supreme Court from reviewing cases held by the circuit before
Let me grab it

1 Like

weird

You don’t sue a law. You would typically sue whoever would enforce the law.

1 Like

yeah and that would be the state
im so good at wording

disclaimer i am not a lawyer

unless its a federal law ig

1 Like

Well, you’d think lol. The Texas abortion bounty hunting law is controversial precisely because it’s almost impossible to file a lawsuit where you have standing because you don’t have a plaintiff that is enforcing the law to name.

2 Likes

oh
weird