Fantasy of the Damned - Ended

Not even wind, she knows like 6 languages

Wind, in how much time did you learn each one? I need to know in how much time I can learn German before university.

Depends, I mean, I started learning languages when I was 5 years old and I had plenty of opportunities to practice some of them but not all

So I wouldnā€™t call myself fluent in some languages I studied for 10+ years but Iā€™d call myself fluent in languages i studied in less than that :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I took German in university and picked it up pretty easily just from a semester course. The second course I took was like German for engineers and idk if I learned anything practical in it, I didnā€™t really pay attention in that class :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Wow, was it that boring?

But like, it depends on how experienced you are with learning similar grammatical structures. You have an advantage over people who speak only other Romance languages because Romanian has three genders and a case declension system, so itā€™s grammatically more similar to German than, say, Spanish or French would be. But German is obviously a Germanic language, so the grammar is still not going to look like a Romance language.

2 Likes

I realized I have a tendency to slack in language courses because I see no reason to actually read the textbook lol

1 Like

I prefer learning by practical use, like just reading and looking stuff up on my own, watching shows or movies in the language with English subtitles, practicing in person with someone, practicing by writing to people or on forumsā€¦ Etc.

I hate textbooks and I hate language learning apps lol

Most people like the apps but I personally donā€™t find them practical, at least not for the way I pick up languages.

3 Likes

A teacher about to scold you, but you talkback to them fluently in the language youā€™re learning.

Itā€™s like if we ever need to speak in codified language, Iā€™ll speak in a very informal Romanian to the point google translate canā€™t understand.

I used to type in very abbreviated Romanian on the language learning forum where I was most activeā€¦ Lol

1 Like

Wind about to să vb. cu dvs. tr-un mod abrv.

1 Like

Nah I wonā€™t subject people in the thread to reading abbreviated Romanian, Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™re supposed to be posting in English anyway on the forum lol

2 Likes

Not even if we are trying to speak some sort of code language? :pleading_face:

I donā€™t think weā€™re supposed to use ciphers or codes on the forum either

1 Like

What if I say please? :sob:

No :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I wonder, whatā€™s the easiest language on the globe?

Iā€™m wondering if is Italian because of the pronounciation and the grammatical rules. Maybe English doesnā€™t have genders, but why the f are ā€œgenreā€, ā€œArkansasā€, ā€œsquirrelā€ pronounced this way?

ā€œLibraryā€ too, like itā€™s a place about lies or what? :sob:

1 Like

Genre is from French
Arkansas is some bastardized spelling/pronunciation of whatever word it is the native language it came from (sorry I forgot exactly what the history of the name was)
Squirrel idk I have no explanation for it but it follows normal English pronunciation rules :joy_cat:

2 Likes

English has normal pronounciation rules? :joy_cat: