Netrunner Mafia - Game Over: Mala Tempora

Reminder to keep things civil.

I understand the game can be heated at times, but ultimately, we’re here to play a fun game and enjoy each other’s company. If you need to vent, do it in your respective rolecard as opposed to in the thread.

2 Likes

i haven’t been tunneled like this before except when i was mafia but the circumstances were different because the player (funnily enough, it is the same player doing it now) was a consensus townread so them possibly dying never really came up. i don’t think i’ve ever been tunneled by a poe’d slot before. so asking about this part of my playstyle won’t really help you

Sometimes manipulating people as town is okay if it gets to the correct end result
It did not get to the correct end result this time but- it’s fine (it’s not fine I’m sorry Eliza)

Also me and Caspore both didn’t end up voting Eliza anyway so it didn’t even matter :skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

Arctic about how many games of Mafia have you played?
Maybe I’m just the kind of person who attracts deathtunnels but I’m struggling to believe it’s possible
Like it’s not even ai I just can’t even fathom how good of a player you have to be to avoid this
Especially on FoL lmao

i’ve been playing for about two and a half years, and have probably played… around 30-40 games, hard to tell actually lol.

i used to be a lot more charismatic and was able to be extremely villagery as a villager, not because i was a bad wolf/polarized, more just because people underestimated my wolfgame (hence i won most of those too). i think i used to have a posting/playstyle that people would just townread regardless of my alignment maybe due to its transparency. i think i probably made up the never being tunneled like this before thing but i genuinely can’t remember if it’s happened elsewhere because it doesn’t happen very often at all. i either project enough town as town for players scumreading me to quickly talk themselves out of it or i persuade them as a wolf long enough for me to nightkill them before they suspect me again.

i recently did an analysis on how often i am suspected early game as town versus as wolf, and i found that in only one of my wolfgames i was suspected early on day 1 (my second wolfgame ever) whereas i was suspected early on in about 60% of my towngames before it either continued (rarely) or people talked themselves out of it (more common). i generally become more obvious as a wolf as the game goes on, but early on in the game the average player seems to have rand accuracy reading me… or actually probably a little less than rand given i usually get townread early on as a wolf.

this feels towny

1 Like

Okay I’ve read Arctic and Vulgard and I think my conclusion is that I’m beginning to understand what it means to be an Arctic
Like I’m more confident in the cohesive persona that comprises the being that is known as Arctic and as of now that is in fact a cohesive persona
While at the same time I was at a similar conclusion as Vulgard before talking with Arctic about this which is a townie mindmeld
Which means this interaction is probably a net positive for both of them? This makes me feel like I can’t read things when two people who are clearly good players are scumreading eachother off of it but W E H

That’s so interesting I’m like the polar opposite
The first time people play with me they almost always scumread me and so I’m v used to being deathtunneled
And I am notorious for bad entrances in thread
But then once people had played with me regardless of alignment they tended to neutral me D1 and slowly move me up the readlist
I used to have a spreadsheet and I think the stats said that over half the games I got elimmed were my first game in the site? Something like that

Anyways enough of small talk it’s time for big talk I’m isoing some rando glgl

honestly i realize i kinda of sugarcoated this. i used to be a lot more tunnely/reckless/loud as town and had a stream of conscious/highposting playstyle where i’d post almost every thought that came to my head, and this made it obvious i was town a lot of the time. and even though i didn’t do this as well as a wolf, it wasn’t really different enough for me to get confidently wolfread when i was a newbwolf.

now i kinda have the opposite issue where… i’m not as confident as town and i play in a much more reserved way because i’m worried about doing things that are -ev for my alignment since i don’t know who the scumteam is. and on the other hand when i’m scum, i know exactly what i have to do to benefit my alignment (especially in games like mountainous) so i find it much easier to make more confident plays, and making loud pushes / convincing people to follow me on them is a hallmark of this

oh me too, apparently. as town that is

I ISOd Squirrel every single read they’ve ends up with the thread consensus
But they’ve taken such different approaches to getting there that feel genuinely solvy and makes me want to hear more of their takes even when I don’t agree which feels like a really good sign
I have also talked myself into saying they are not partners with Guava

*every single read they’ve done
That’s an exaggeration but weh it feels mostly true

Squirrel do you have any hot takes?

i read dum’s iso again and got nothing out of it

hm
i’m really not helping myself here am i

I have ISOd Ashlyn
And in some ways Ashlyn feels like the anti-Squirrel in that they consistently have takes that are weird and disagree with anything the rest of the thread is saying
But you read them and are like that’s not how I thought but that’s an interesting solve and then you begin to think they make sense
Except for this post I’m replying to which is randomly attacking a literally claimed and proven vig which is so wtf that I just want to handwaive it as town

So I guess also throw in the townpile?
Which means I’m at a TR on every player I’ve read through that is not Guava
Which on one hand makes sense because the majority of them must be town but on the other hand someone must be scum so I think I need to take a bit to recalibrate weh

1 Like

relatable
i agree with you on ashlyn that pushing kanave there seems kinda wtf from a wolf (yes this assumes kanave is town but like, they just are lmao sorry ash)

idk
i kind of want to look at magnus now because my only reason to townread him is “reasonable posting” and that isn’t really gonna cut it when i townread most people

Is there a reason for this or is this just you saying you think Squirrel is town

The way Squirrel went from pressuring you to finding a TR out of it was super solvy and something that I came out of feeling like it wasn’t w/w
So like I’m independently TRing that interaction but also to have what feels like Squirrel’s solviest interaction of of the game be with a scumbuddy feels very hard to fake
So uh both

1 Like

ehhh
I think w!kanave isn’t implausible but I’m fairly certain that slot is self-resolving so it’s not really a hot take, just a tinfoil

hottest take I can give you is that wazza’s town based off of her one post

^to me this kind of guilt about not engaging is towny
scum!wazza wouldn’t feel as pressured to engage thread considering the gamestate and would probably just enter later

I like this
the thought process feels transparent and harder to fake
tbf I’m a sucker for stream of consciousness-type posts but it’s still a good look imo

i thought that post from wazza was wolfy because i don’t expect a town wazza to care about letting people know they are present and she’d be more happy to do things at her own pace whereas a wolf wazza would be more concerned with keeping up appearances

realistically it probably means nothing but imo calling it towny is a stretch

squirrel who do you actually wolfread?

you’re probably the strongest

though as of rn it’s literally a pool of the top 4 posters for me (obviously it’s not going to be all of them, but I’m reasonably confident there’s at least 1 in there)