Weekly Monday Discussion #4 - User Presence

I disabled likes

1 Like

Pings don’t go away even when temoved, but I think likes do

Technically yes but that has never happened to my knowledge and i actually do trust our userbase to say something if it does

1 Like

idea for an event

alright off to fucking explode or some shit

1 Like

I personally say just temove the tag then since we had cookie thread for a bit without prescenze and it was perfectly fine and sociable. While i havent had experience with it i think an fm game with presence enabled would be null at best or unfun for some and angleshooty at worst. The benefits it provides to cookie are fairly neglible as well, as while it is a fun feature to have and it makes it seem more like a chat room i dont really think it adds a whole lot and a worst adds nothing. Personally i think the potebtial negatives from having it everywhere outweigh the potential positives from having it everywhere. Also like, discord exists if you really really wanna see whos typing

I’m more on this side of the argument since the community aspect hits kinda hard for me

Most instances of angleshooting I’ve seen are a) wrong and b) are easily stopped by saying “yo that’s angleshooting dont do that” so I tend to think of it as a non-gamebreaking issue

4 Likes

i think it’s funny and anyone who angleshoots with it is cringe and probably not even correct

7 Likes

Frankly, I would get really paranoid about my Discord status when I was wolfing (until someone hit it into my head how ridiculous that was), and I knew from the start that it was extremely unlikely anyone would even be looking at that. Having a built-in feature, drawn attention to, that one can micromanage… the concern wouldn’t even be people angleshooting, Misty is right that it doesn’t even work, it would be, at least for me, worrying about angleshooting turning into paranoia.

1 Like

Obviously, I’m an exception to the rule in terms of level of neuroticism, but I think even for normal people it’d just be… frustrating to be in a game where people are trying to read you off the typing thing, despite the fact that it’s never gonna be actually… that correct, y’know? Even barring the edge cases where it might end up important and devolve into hearsay on “x was typing during y time, I saw it”, it turns whether you have the text box open into a game-relevant action, and so it turns it into something you have to think about. It’s a stupid thing to think about. Telling people not to angleshoot is fake and not real that’s a command to “angleshoot extra hard and don’t tell anybody about it”

4 Likes

Well thta’s what I hear. Might be a skill issue

1 Like

if you need like, an extension to exploit it then if you download an extension just to angleshoot then :nerd_face: (derogatory)

2 Likes

I entirely agree, even if u arent doing it consciously u kighr see someone typing for like 30 min and then they have like, a 3 sentence paragraph in response to someone. Even if you were trying to not let it affect your read on them it probably would

2 Likes

fwiw I’ve thought on it and although I’m not voting, if I were voting, I’d vote to enable it everywhere

5 Likes

For full transparency, I’m going to leave the poll open until Friday night so more people have a chance to give their input and vote

In the meantime, presence is disabled completely so people can’t abuse it

2 Likes

from my understanding there’s decent odds this wouldn’t work either but hard to say for sure

probably something worth looking into if it gets voted to be disabled but i am not a chloe

1 Like

i prefer presence because i despise mu’s competitive environment and dont wanna emulate it here

2 Likes

competitive sdgs kinda arent fun for me

1 Like

Agreed

1 Like

i agree but like not having presence doesn’t mean that we have a competitive environment. we have not had presence this entire time and don’t emulate that environment at all imo

2 Likes