Weekly Monday Discussion #4 - User Presence

i think i just have old fol nostalgia
i agree my point is only tangentially relevant

3 Likes

Whoever hacked the presence initially - could you also hack the anonymous poll and tell me which people voted for the option that has the minority votes so we can alienate and make fun of them?

12 Likes

i was going to say “this shouldnt be possible” but i wouldnt rly be surprised if there was a way

:joy_cat:

5 Likes

This poll will close Friday.

it’s less that presence makes the game less competitive it just makes it annoying

1 Like

Presence makes games unpleasant and I suppose that which is unpleasant is not competitive

2 Likes

So if you REALLY hate competition

2 Likes

have you seen the fighting game community

4 Likes

ive played lots of discord games recently and discord has presence enabled and it hasnt been like, that bad
nobody’s tried to angleshoot it

1 Like

i know that people who are scared of it are valid
theyre scared that people will abuse the feature
but i wanna put my trust in this community to just
be nice to each other and i trust them to be able to use it responsibly
and that includes not anlgeshooting

I play on Discord a lot. It is absolutely something I think about all the time when I’m wolf there and it is absolutely something people try to angleshoot

1 Like

More specifically it is extremely angleshootable during EoDs, where someone’s presence or absence is very game-relevant, and “oh X started to type in the votes channel” or “I saw X typing but they haven’t said anything” or “X has been typing for the last five minutes for a short message” or or or or or

i’ve played on discord and in our community it’s kinda just accepted that you’re gonna have to be on invis if you wanna scheme as a wolf

1 Like

i think that these problems can be avoided through the power of friendship:tm: rather than the power of moderation

mlp style

Like, I’m sure people generally intend to be nice. But when you put them in a mafia game and create a conflict between “being nice” and “playing optimally with all the information you have”, that’s just going to be… pretty unpleasant. Not even because people don’t want to be nice. But because it feels like being nice is holding you back, you know? That people willing to be ruthless have a mechanical advantage. I prefer when this kind of stuff is just… designed out as much as possible.

3 Likes

also sometimes a player types and then never says anything ever. which is really noticeable, especially when it’s because that player’s wolf partner explicitly instructed them to never say anything ever, for reasons i still don’t entirely understand. obviously fol won’t be that stupid but. people will definitely angleshoot things like that they’ll just pretend to have other reads on them

2 Likes

I don’t really understand why, if we don’t want people to angle shoot, we are enabling it everywhere. This could create information disparity if we only enabled it in one thread but we could also just like make it clear that it’s angle shooting to do this

3 Likes

thats fair i just
feel like while obvious we don’t encourage that
that stance is very reminiscent of MU competitive culture to me and why i hated it

im personally fine with presence enabled because i play to have fun, not to be optimal
basically i have trust that if we as a community work together then we can have a nice space with nice things because we’re friends
but i dont mind that much if you guys prefer solid moderator action over just trusting the community

1 Like

it seems clear that if you are exploiting the forum to get information that the layperson wouldnt get then thats illicit and if we make it feel illicit then itll be much more palatable than if we make it feel licit by just enabling everywhere

1 Like

Is this agreeing

1 Like