Weekly Monday Discussion #6 - Computers

TOOL A: a program, used by a small amount of people on fol (unknown exactly how many, but lets say around 4) has been found to have a bug that leaks your entire rolecard a small amount of the time
TOOL B: a program, used by a large amount of people on fol (lets say like 20% of people use this add on) that allows multi-isoing. It is discovered that this puts an amount of strain on the server somehow.
TOOL C: that same program from tool b is discovered to become somewhat buggy if your post is liked by a host account, and requires reinstallation to fix

you can generate a number of other things like this but what im getting at is what kind of public action would be taken. if tool c didn’t need reinstallation and would be fixed in a weeks time when an update goes out what then? etc etc

I know the answer to everything at the end of the day is “mod decision” but I think it’s good to have at least an idea on what should be done in a situation like this

I tried to make a meme but it got really fucked up

4 Likes

BINDING OF ISAAC QUALITY 4?

true

Yeah that’s just fair. I thought you were saying it was unreasonable to talk about calculators because if a calculator improves your setup’s gameplay the setup sucks, which is not true. But if your calculator trivialises your setup’s gameplay the setup sucks. This is why they need a mathematics freak on all review team

1 Like

entirety of Weekly Monday Discussion #6 - Computers Thread just got brim :flame: :flame:

1 Like

my general inclination is that anything that is literally the exact same content but prevented in a different or modified format (e.g. extensions that make the site look different, screen readers, zooming in so that the text is bigger, etc.) is obviously fine

2 Likes

Artist’s Rendering of what’s behind the other two doors:

5 Likes

this isn’t a mod ruling, but something like:

imo it would not be allowed to use that tool (until it was fixed + the fix was verified to work), even if it’s a small chance it’s a small chance of ruining the game, if we said “no more using this tool it might post your rolecard” and someone kept using it and it posted their rolecard that would be handled as if they had just posted their rolecard voluntarily

probably would depend on how much strain, if it were causing serious problems we might ban it/ask people to uninstall it

if it’s also putting strain on the server then see above, if it’s just the C issue then I think we should probably just announce that the issue exists, and then people can decide whether it’s worth having to periodically reinstall it

Monty Hall Mafia

3 Likes

too true

Zugzwang

You are Zugzwang, Town Unsubtle Programmer.

Announce (Day) - Talk about programs too much and get a weekly discussion made about them.

You win the game when the Mafia and all other threats to the Town have been eliminated.

5 Likes

Weekly Monday Discussion #6 - Zugzwang

2 Likes
2 Likes

I will glady repost this video any chance i get

This isn’t a bug. It’s a feature.

The hypothetical Wolf Detector 6000 that I have described cannot exist because it would run afoul of the Halting Problem I’m pretty sure, but I’ve also repeatedly used a much narrower example as still a problem i.e. some players have a reliable tell that could be found through the right statistical test with a large enough sample size. It’s still problematic if a tool lacks generality, but still has a handful of players it could out. I think that such a tool could hypothetically exist, and does not require it to beyond the capabilities of AGI. Again, I have to ask what is allowing it to exist until it’s clear it’s actually a problem is in service of? Call me a luddite or whatever, but I think it’s bad if the tool only becomes banned after it becomes too good at what it does because then it’s out there that such a tool exists. This is a silly hobby that we (past tense for myself) play for fun that’s about social interactions between humans and we should try to preserve that quality of it.

1 Like

What if I have fun making the Wolf Detector 6000

2 Likes

Hm. Perhaps the solution is we kill the Zugzwang.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the ban on calculators was referring to specifically but that’s a problem with the setup. Calculators are very publicly accessible. WoW:BfA actually has kind of a problem on numbercrunching rands; rands are semi-solvable since certain classes are restricted to certain races