World's Finest - GAME OVER ASH WINS

Like have you ever seen me or Zug try to write a mafia role? There’s an uncomfortable autism line here where “what can be understood by a general audience” is not something that, like, nerds intuitively know there’s some fine burning-bright line about. The power wasn’t actively deceptive, it didn’t have lies or wording tricks, people just decided to ignore something that confused them because they assumed it’d be fine, that was their problem

4 Likes

And yea

1 Like

Yeah and that’s fair .I think the actual main cause of this particular problem was a host-swap issue, which is normal, swapping hosts is hard. I just think that the solution is not “gentlemen’s agreement to not submit Powers For Nerds”, that’s cringe

3 Likes

And may I re iterate that this is in the first paragraph in the OP

2 Likes

this is very common for nerds and should probably be thought of yes

3 Likes

For the record, I was not intending to be deceptive with Call Option. I submitted it because I’d been working on it after this post:

I wasn’t going for an instant-win ability; I was just creating something that I thought would be neat.
Had Cursed Soul not been in the game, it would’ve been a completely useless ability.

5 Likes

elaborating on this

the intent was that people would see it and think “ooh, I basically get a free turn to survive” and bid a lot for it

and then everybody else would see it and think, “hey, we need to focus this player because they get a free turn to survive”

so then the player who actually got it would get focused and would have less hp to begin with anyways

meanwhile, I designed absorb pain to actually deter people from attacking me, since nobody likes getting their energy reduced

3 Likes

theres a xkcd about this

2 Likes
4 Likes

and I think that’s ~about how things played out

aside from marshal, nobody attacked me, whereas marshal (the player who did get chronoshield) drew a lot of attention

2 Likes

also a valid point

a player spending ALL of their energy on something other than attack/defend greatly changed the math

3 Likes

yeah absorb pain was the most OP ability imo (other than how call option ended up working out)

its like, u lose twice as much as u invest into attacking squirrel. so nobody attacked squirrel apart from marissa who only did that out of gratitude toward sdaeron

3 Likes

That, plus the fact that “all Energy” meant that it bypassed adding to M.

3 Likes

oh yeah thats huge. that ended up being a broken wombo combo

3 Likes

i blame cursed soul

2 Likes

Who wrote that ability?

3 Likes

oh

I didn’t even think of that

3 Likes

Zone

3 Likes

stockpile - zone_q11
chronoshield - squirrel
defensive overload - tutuu
final gambit - marissa
parasite - marissa
absorb pain - squirrel
quasi-stellar obliterator - daeron
call option - ash
devils bargain - ishmael
invinerate - tutuu
power u - ishmael
replication - ash
shadow council executive - daeron
cursed soul - zone_q11

2 Likes

I think it was supposed to work with stockpile?

2 Likes