World's Finest - GAME OVER ASH WINS

just have people give an example of it working if there’s a lot of numbers

“for example, suppose M is 30 (determined at game start). If the player chooses X as 35 and there is 70 energy spent this round, 70 will exceed 35 by 35. X-M/3 will be 25, and the player will heal 35*25 health.”

5 Likes

No?

2 Likes

Like the only reason it was effective as a deception was because people decided to ignore it. Hosts included

3 Likes

Yea that legislates a lot of powers
I think having the host reword complicated powers works better tho

1 Like

as long as the example numbers aren’t wildly inaccurate people should understand this is a “heal for a couple hundred” power and bid/play accordingly

2 Likes

…yes and that was afaik by design

2 Likes

that works too

it’s just that some powers can’t really be reworded well if there’s a lot of math

2 Likes

If a power ends up being way stronger than you thought it’s ok but like. This was obviously intended to read a different way than it processed

2 Likes

Yea fair

1 Like

waitwaitwaitwait

2 Likes

I would argue having the line about multiplying x-m/3 by the energy exceeded was a little sneaky, but that’s because that’s the part I missed

cuz I followed the math up until it started getting into words again and then I missed it

3 Likes

Ftr I literally outline the point of the design phase here

2 Likes

did ash pull this

4 Likes

i agree lol, if it was one big equation where i could see a multiplication sign i would be a bit more wary. its hidden in a salad of words, somewhat

4 Likes

Probably

1 Like

if it just said, “heal (X-M/3) * (total energy spent this round - X),” I ~probably would’ve gotten it? maybe?

idk, I just think having people give examples is also good from a clarity perspective regardless of how sneaky the ability is inherently

4 Likes

Yea that’s also true

1 Like

if the equation was reworded to

(Y - X) * ( X - M / 3) health

i think its much more visible thats like - warning. huge number. multiplication

3 Likes

To be clear, what I intend to say here is as follows:

The issue here was a host-side issue in allowing in a power the hosts didn’t understand, and an opponent-side issue in others ignoring the power because they didn’t understand it (it would’ve been way less effective if people threatened Ash early on, or watched their energy spending to avoid these kinda issues). Those are supposed to be the lines of defence against “submit something super OP and nobody else understands it” - as a host, you should not just let in a power you don’t understand

Claiming it was “unsporting” or whatever to submit a complicated power, or that everybody should just try not to submit complicated powers, when there were these explicit lines of defence against this kind of strategy which failed feels like… it removes a large big of strategy and fun for people who like complicated things

4 Likes

i think the difference is that you two have greatly differing ideas of whether this game should be a complicated “read into everything” or a “design a mech”

4 Likes