Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

JK it’s like. Months before we finish Dream of the Red Chamber

1 Like

Depends on the size of the game. Mashes are more about being able to make a lot of bullshit that’s interesting enough to keep people’s attention for like a week or 2 depending on phase lengths. Smaller setups (non-role madness) is thinking about how the roles interact with each other and what each side’s margin for error is.

2 Likes

It’s nostalgic!

2 Likes

For you!

It’s nostalgic for the Lego PotC community, particularly those who remember playing the game and cared enough about it to answer polls surrounding the game on the 148-person wiki.

1 Like

i wasnt lying btw

The perfect game to experiment with roles, such as the Blackout role.

1 Like

why

1 Like

this is a “survive until N8” role

It would make for better flavour than this, you have to admit, May.

2 Likes

Correction: This is a “survive until N8” role for the player.
For the GMs, it is a “survive” role.

1 Like

the actual setup for the game has literally nothing to do with the picture of dorian gray I just thought it would be funny to make that the flavor

See, the thing is: You only see the “successful” setups that I have put up on the queue.

I compare myself with a cook whenever I make setups. I experiment making many dishes. Some are good, some are bad. They all go through review, and I modify some ingredients if the head chef believes the dish should be altered.

However, I only present dishes I believe are palatable. Behind the scenes, I have many unused ingredients, many failed dishes, many “things that could not make it”.

I can give you the quick answer of “it all comes down to experience”, but I don’t think that’s what you want to hear, even if it is the simple truth. Not even I start as a good setup designer.

Have you ever seen my first setup; Undertale FM? It was so bad that when I overhauled it recently, it became two setups. It was just a hotpot of whatever thrown into one plate; a mess! Yet it was fun to host it, and that was how I started as a host. I just kept making setups, and eventually… I “only” need a couple hours to make a standard setup.

5 Likes

3 PR 13ers (and 15ers for that matter) have an extremely narrow margin for error if you assume PRs are never misyeeted (you should assume that for balancing). This means that if you have too many roles that can generate virtual peeks early (tracker, role blocker, JK, doctor, etc.), wolves can get blown the fuck out via mechanics and snowball (as evidenced by some of the completed champs games from this season). Looking at the percentage of VTs wolves have to misyeet is a good metric.

There are some rules of thumb like 2 PR 13ers, and 3 PR 17ers are relatively safe with most not obviously insane role combinations, but 3 PR 13ers and 4 PR 17ers need to be thought about to not lead to likely village stomps.

It’s safe to give the wolves an equal number of PRs as the village. 1 less is okay most of the time, but more than that and you’ll again find that wolves are getting in situations where they’re just outgunned (gestures at champs).

You cannot create significant KP disparities and it should be close to equal unless you really know what you’re doing. Those are the big things.

2 Likes

My mum has Fifty Shades of Grey in our household, although I have no proof she ever read it. When I was fourteen or fifteen, I randomly looked up the book’s title on my computer, because I didn’t really know what it was about.

Cue an awkward conversation two days later (I don’t think she knew I was ace yet).

2 Likes

@Zone_Q11 do you want to review the picture of dorian gray fm

I like making random roles but I don’t know how to make htem into. A thing

1 Like

i am somehow much better at central mechanics than roles

i have about equal numbers of central mechanic ideas to role ideas
which is not good

Hm… In my case, I am a selfish person who don’t care about my players. (I believe this much is already public knowledge.) I do try to improve myself by listening to some feedback, but… I can’t please everyone, so I don’t even try to please everyone.

I got reprimanded in the past for making setups where “players won’t have fun”, but I still kept making more setups. Because… it’s fun for me! Fortunately, this site has reviewers. In the past, I just made whatever, but now I can get help from the reviewers!

1 Like