Cookie Thread Act 1: A Cookie in Time

I know this conversation was nearly a month ago but this euphemism has been living rent-free in my head :joy_cat:

2 Likes

anyways happy Wild Rose day in the French Revolutionary Calendar (yesterday was Harvesting Basket day)

4 Likes

probably but like i know that exists and i still never used them much

if you do please add a postcap

follow-up question do you have any dietary restrictions

1 Like

ok I’m choosing to ignore the dietary restrictions thing since idk if you have any, here are some recipes that I like that are not very hard or time consuming

I have a couple that are marginally more complicated that I can share if you want but I’m starting with these since they are Not

if you’re like lactose intolerant or something then substitute in vegan cheese or take the Magic Dairy Pill or something. or ignore these, it’s up to you.

Amrock Potatoes

Food needed:

• ~3 large russet potatoes (depending on how hungry you are)
  • Shredded chedder cheese or whatever type of cheese you like as long as it’s shredded
  • Sour cream (optional but makes it a lot better)
  • Mushrooms or whatever other random extra things you want to put inside (optional)
  • Oregano (extremely optional)

Equipment needed:

• Microwave oven
  • Microwave-safe plate
  • Fork
  • Knife (a butter knife is fine)
  • Sink

Steps:

• Wash off the potatoes
  • Stab the potatoes all over with a fork (this makes them not explode)
  • Microwave all the potatoes. If you’re making it with 3 this should be for about 5 minutes, as a rough rule of thumb each potato added adds 1 minute and each potato subtracted subtracts one minute
  • Flip the potatoes over
  • Microwave them again for the same amount of time
  • If you’re adding mushrooms or anything, you can save time by chopping them while the potatoes cook
  • Cut them partially in half (like a hot dog bun - don’t cut all the way through)
    • I find this recipe works best if you cut from the top, so that the hole is pointing up, rather than trying to cut in the side
  • Theoretically you can fluff up the middle with a fork here but I am unconvinced this does anything
  • Stuff the place where you made the slice with cheese (it should be slightly overflowing). Also add any spices or other things (like mushrooms) that you’re putting in
  • Microwave them for another 30 seconds. Depending on details they might need a little longer, but definitely not more than a minute.
  • Add sour cream on top
  • Eat the potatoes

Ravioli, etc.

Food needed:

• Ravioli, tortellini, etc.
  • Small amount of salt
  • Butter (optional)
  • Spices (optional) (I use oregano. Can you tell I like oregano?)
  • Olive oil (extremely optional)
  • Cheese (optional, I use shredded cheese but if you have a cheese grater you can also get a block of parmesian)

Equipment needed:

• Stove
  • Some variety of pot/saucepan/etc. with a lid. You want a roughly medium-sized one.
  • Plate
  • Strainer/colander/etc.

Steps:

• Fill the pot ~halfway full with water. The packaging will give a recommended amount but you can pretty much ignore it as long as you’re not going wildly under.
  • Add salt to the water (I have forgotten to do this and still gotten edible dinner so don’t panic if you forget)
  • Boil the water on the stove
  • Add the pasta. If you’re putting in herbs and spices, add them here.
  • Follow the cooking instructions for how long to leave the pasta in
  • Turn off the stove and dump the pasta in a colander or whatever
  • Add the other stuff if you want it
  • Eat the pasta

NOTE: Many pasta recipes call for tomato sauce or other things in that genre. This recipe specifically uses a type of pasta that’s (imo) tasty on its own even without anything extra.

Quesadillas

Food needed:

• Tortillas (I use large flour tortillas)
  • Shredded cheese
  • A can of refried beans (not regular beans, refried beans, this actually matters)
  • Mushrooms/onions/whatever vegetables you want in your quesadilla (optional; I usually put in mushrooms)
  • Sour cream/salsa (optional, I don’t use it, but a lot of people like it)

Equipment needed:

• Frying pan
  • Cooking spray or something in that genre (optional, but will make your life easier depending on what kind of pan you have)
  • Stove
  • Plastic spatula
  • Can opener

Steps:

• Open the beans
  • Spread the beans on half the tortilla. You can basically eyeball the quantity, assuming you have any sense of how much you want.
  • Spread some shredded cheese over the beans. It should be on the same half as the beans are.
  • Chop up the mushrooms or other vegetables if you’re using them and sprinkle them throughout the half of the tortilla you’re using.
  • Fold the unused half over the top of the quesadilla
  • Turn on the stove and set it to some vaguely medium-high heat
  • Put the quesadilla on the stove (I recommend starting cheese-side down) (don’t worry if a little bit comes out, you can clean it up later)
  • Heat it up until the cheese gets melty enough to stick it together
  • Flip it over with the spatula and cook it on the other side
  • You can flip it back and forth a couple times if you want, as long as during the first flip the cheese is melted enough to not fall apart
  • Depending on your personal preferences you might want the quesadilla to be more or less crispy and partially brown than these instructions would naturally result in, you can adjust cooking time and/or temperature to get the outcome you want as long as the cheese is melting through
  • I usually make two but depending on how hungry you are you can make more or less
  • Cut it up into quarters and eat
4 Likes

no

1 Like

Homemade quesadiilas?

Based?

oh technically the quesadillas also need a knife (to spread the beans), and maybe oven mitts

and this was hopefully obvious but the cooking spray goes on before you cook the quesadillas

I’m genuienly interested in the concept of cooking, but unfortunately I don’t quite have that option. :broken_heart:

potential non-recipe-related tip: can you work out some sort of arrangement with your housemates where you rotate off who does dinner? in most cases it’s not wildly much more work to make the same recipe for more people

i… think it could be possible

i could try this after we see how everyone’s schedule is this year

1 Like

Stay healthy, Arctic

1 Like

oh and an important note with the first one is to NOT store your potatoes with onions, if you have onions as well

if you have them together they will make each other go bad

(yes, before you ask, I know this from experience)

1 Like

the fact they’re called amrock potatoes makes me much more inclined to try them

I got the recipe from Amrock

2 Likes

thanks arete you’re the best :green_heart:

2 Likes

True!

I also have Alison Pasta which I got from Alison, but that’s moderately more complicated so I didn’t include it in the Starter Post

send it anyway the idea of cooking foods named after mafia players is pretty funny to me