Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

agreed for eliza. youbie didn’t share her interpretation of nbowie’s message. as for nbowie i think she just likes being seen as an encyclopedia as usual :nerd_face: so she’s focused on appearing smart and not focused on being clear

1 Like

:wowee:

1 Like

I would say that the hyper-toxic “alpha male” culture… thing’

whatever you’d call it

is pretty far from the general concept of being a man tbh

2 Likes

yeah ok fair

it’s ok to be masculine. Forcing children to be masculine is where the problem lies. “Be a man” is the phrase you tell children when theyre trying to express themselves emotionally. I once talked about crying at a movie and all the men we’re like “woah, you’re a guy. Guy’s don’t cry at movies” and i was literally told to “be a man” exactly by one. That shit is extremely harmful and stifles tons of people to emotionally express themselves

Im not saying masculinity is bad, i am saying toxic masculinity is bad, and trying to mold every boy into the same “strong”, unfeeling, ideal picture of a man is unhealthy and toxic

1 Like

i really don’t know much about this concept, though

I think it’s not just being trans I think “boys vs boys” hits if you’re a woman also

1 Like

No i liked what NBOW said i was just sharing a different quote i also like

2 Likes

Mostly I think the operative here is “turn them into” i.e. “the worst thing we do to boys is turn them into [what we turn them into]” i.e. “the social pressures on boys are bad”

2 Likes

yeah but im just wondering what it means

1 Like

this might be it. thank you may. these damn neurotypicals expecting me to understand them when they’re not literal. the audacity!

1 Like

i definitely do not like the whole “send boys to war to turn them into men” thing but i don’t know if this is like. an actual common sentiment

but yeah this is what i was thinking

exactly

i think a lot of societal pressure on men is extrmely hurtful. “Real men don’t cry” is like an actual phrase, and it is a real issue bc there a tons of men who see showing any kind of emotional vulnerability is a sign of weakness, which easily leads to bad mental health

1 Like

on the flip side, I think there’s genuine value in attempting to be stoic and overcoming your emotions to remain focused even in tough times, and encouraging people to do that is probably a good thing for society to incorporate into its ideals

like this isn’t directly defending people telling you to man up for crying at a movie (that’s pretty fucking lol tbqh) but I don’t think that means the underlying concept is bad to express in general

2 Likes

i think this is what you were thinking:

I think we just entirely disagree then bc while i see the value in being stoic sometimes society should be focusing on teaching people to properly address and cope with emotions rsther than just repressing them again and again and again

1 Like

I think the phrase also kind of draws from the way the word “boys” tends to be used differently around girls as they grow? Since it usually refers to their peers in age when they hear it. It goes from meaning, like, “the other kids your age” when you’re like 5 to as a teenager a group treated as The Dangerous Sexual Other who you must conceal yourself from and who will inevitably harass you

2 Likes

but clearly they are not at fault for that they were just distracted by your revealing clothing!!!

(/s)

i’m sure if someone asked you this now your answer would be very different

3 Likes