Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

Not fair!

1 Like

I think the disagreement here is actually down specifically to the word “repress” here because in general I would say the teaching is less “repress your emotions” and moreso “control your emotions”

Like it’s obviously okay to be sad and whatnot but letting the sadness take control of you for too long is definitely not healthy any moreso than going to the extreme opposite end and actively repressing everything is

2 Likes

It’s similar to “Boys will be boys” and saying that we take “boys” (adolescents with with a particular gender assignment) and we turn them into “boys” (aggressive, dangerous, improper, etc.). The phrase “boys will be boys” attempts to explain away all the negative behaviors in the latter as in inherent to the former gender, but the phrase “The worst thing we do to boys is we turn them into boys” is reframing the same idea, but blaming society and culture rather than it being something immutable and innate to boyhood.

2 Likes

So saying, like, the worst thing we do to boys [general term for male children] is treat them as the loaded concept of [teenage] boys, in italics, because treating somebody as a Dangerous Sexual Other is bad.

2 Likes

thers also a lot of “boys will be boys” culture that goes with that

“boys will be boys” works when the boys are in question are like 12 and what they did was like watch dvds they werent supposed to, but people use it to excuse men who are 18+ sexually harassing women (or worse)

4 Likes

Omg fucking mind meld

1 Like

yep

1 Like

oh that’s a neat phrase then (after being explained the lore). i like the etimology

1 Like

fwiw this is just about the only context I have ever heard this phrase used in irl

1 Like

ok in theory but not in practice i think

for many people

Ive heard and seen it used in both

I’ve not ever seen it in sexual harassment context myself only people responding to that alleged usage so I think this might be regional

3 Likes

nothing is one-size-fits all, that’s for sure, and our largest failing in perpetuating social norms has been and remains failing to account for that

2 Likes

Def possible

It’s more that if a boy is a Dangerous Sexual Other it’s important to recognize the reality that we (society and culture collectively) are the Dr. Frankenstein to that monster.

4 Likes

We all know tutuu only loves this pfp because people associate it with Arete, and that’s the closest thing to smart anyone will ever think when they read a tutuu post.

4 Likes

the lorax didn’t cut down trees. you’re thinking of the lorax’s monster

3 Likes

The quote came from a book about the trans feminine experience and it’s so funny to me that Eliza and Youbie almost instantly understood exactly what it meant.

1 Like

no??? look at this intellectual discussion that is popping up all thanks to me. if i didnt start it we wouldnt have an intellectual discussion. i start more trends and conversations on fol than anyone else. im the leader and ur a sheep. u live in the matrix and are also a beta male