Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

I should update my MAL profile at some point.

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto I’ve watched S1 and I’ll probably switch to either the LN or the manga

Beastars I watched S1 and then switched to the manga because I couldn’t handle the CGI snake

i dont fw manga so im never gonna do that

however if you’re open to non-anime form factors then the Higurashi VN is also exceptionally good - it’s top tier in either medium, pick your favorite one

1 Like

A Visual Novel is kinda like a game right?

Like it allows you to make choices that affect the story

most VNs don’t offer any choice, really

even more interactive ones like Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa only let you get “bad endings” where you lose rather than offering any sort of meaningful branching path

basically it’s just a book on your computer with music and sprites, most of the time

1 Like

Pretty much, yeah.
That said, most of them tend to diverge only in the beginning or at the end.

2 Likes

oh also all the higurashi anime seasons are denoted by a subtitle

you don’t want Kai, you don’t want Rei, you don’t want Gou, you don’t want Sotsu, you don’t want Outbreak, you definitely don’t want Kira

just good old bog-standard 2006 studio DEEN Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry)

if the opening scene isn’t this titlecard calling out the date then you have the wrong show (I’m not whipping out my blu-ray for this lol so have a screenshot of a web upload)

the first episode of the VN is free on steam but imo if you aren’t already into VNs I’d probably just stick with the medium you’re already familiar with, can always go read the VN later as either format is just as good of an experience imo

2 Likes
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Higurashi
  • Code Geass - watched S1 years ago I think
  • Shiki (recommend going in blind if possible)
  • Madoka Magica
  • Fate/Zero
  • Psycho-Pass - watched S1 years ago, some people I know told me that was the only one worth watching
  • Made in Abyss already wanted to watch/read
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • Perfect Blue (if you want a movie instead of a show)
  • FLCL
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Baccano!
  • Spice & Wolf already watching
  • Durarara!!
  • Kill la Kill
  • Re:Zero already wanted to watch/read
  • Mob Psycho 100 already watched
  • Great Pretender already wanted to watch
  • Cyberpunk Edgerunners already watched
  • Redline (for another movie rec, this one is incredible for the strength of its animation)
    I heard this one almost bankrupted Madhouse :eek:
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Ping Pong
  • Re:Creators
  • Devilman: Crybaby
  • SSSS.Gridman
  • Beastars already read
  • Link Click
  • Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song
  • The Apothecary Diaries already wanted to watch/read
  • Id:Invaded

I’ll be busy for a while with all of this + other stuff I was already planning to watch/read

I’m definitely open to non-anime like VN/Manga/LN/TV shows

My current favorite manga has an anime adaptation announced that’ll probably get butchered so :eek:

more or less confirming this to be true, other than S2 eveything else is good but absolutely nothing even approaches greatness in the same way S1 did

amazing what happens when you completely change up your core creative team for a sequel :wowee:

1 Like

Im actually so good at party mafia its unfair

1 Like

the quintessential VN rec is Umineko

unlike Higurashi it does not have an equally good anime adaptation (its anime is forever unfinished and although it’s not a bad show it is a bad adaptation)

also Doki Doki Literature Club is free on Steam and if you somehow haven’t played it do yourself a favor and just go download it right now without looking it up further, fantastic game and takes like 4 hours to finish all told so super super easy blind rec

outside of that I don’t really do VNs all that much

I already mentioned I don’t do manga whatsoever

S&W is the only LN I’ve ever read any amount of so that’s also kinda not an area I can really give recs for

as for TV Shows the obvious standouts of the past few years for me personally are Invincible and The Boys but tbh on the whole I don’t really tend to like western TV as much? it feels funny to say this given anime rightly catches flak for fanservice but western TV is often super oversexualized in ways that are even more off-putting for me personally and I find that the stories being told are generally less compelling :man_shrugging:

1 Like

oh but do read Worm tho that’s free and utterly fantastic

1 Like
2 Likes

Would you recommend playing Clannad? It’s been on my radar for the longest time.

Netflix is my main medium for watching TV shows but they don’t have The Boys or Invincible :pensive:

I’d recommend asking somebody who knows lol

ye both are on Prime gg

i’m just gonna use the opportunity to plug pluto because it was my hyperfixation for like 2 weeks after it came out and i need to rewatch it sometime

4 Likes