Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

not a utilitarian btw

1 Like

My “not a utilitarian btw” t-shirt is causing a lot of people to ask questions already answered by my t-shirt

1 Like

i have also heard of the sheriff problem or whatever it’s called, which. i shan’t say

:nerd_face: “well really it depends on how you define utilitarianism–”

1 Like

looking through a page of counterarguments to utilitarianism and this seems like a very bad counterargument. like yes if you construct a hypothetical in which giving resources to a super rich person provides more utility than giving resources to a super poor person utilitarianism produces a vaguely weird-feeling outcome. but part of this is because… that will almost never be true? in the vast majority of cases giving resources to the poor person will produce more utility? if the rich person wanted the things in your bundle full of resources they could simply buy it?

but like if you imagine that, for example, you run the only pharmacy in a town, and you have one of some medication that both the rich and the poor person need, and they show up to your pharmacy at the same time asking for it, but they’re using it to treat different conditions and the rich person’s is more serious, ‘give it to the rich person’ is very intuitive

the thought experiment isn’t really appealing to a shared moral intuition that you should prioritize the less-well-off, it’s appealing to a shared factual intuition that it’s explicitly saying isn’t true

1 Like

Just got this Tumblr bot?

seems like a skill issue for “practical reasoning,” also there’s nothing wrong with getting the right answer quickly

also utilitarianism clearly gives the right answer here even if you don’t like it

(also why are these hypotheticals vaguely racist? it would produce more utility to use a not-vaguely-racist hypothetical,)

1 Like

You are, among other things

1 Like

I’ve just started meowing as a pain response?

I have awesome headache (passively just a normal mild headache, becomes like the most painful thing I have ever experienced when I change positions e.g. standing up) (not even really hyperbole, the most painful thing I have ever experienced was one of these) (current one is not quite that bad) and literally every time I stand up I just make cat noises and I’m fine. Well it still hurts but I’m fine

its something with your vocal cords
it puts stress onto your throat which directly effects your head, i think

I feel like this is concerning but at least I’m standing up

Well see before I was like saying ow loudly or swearing and that resulted in me bein gon the floor. Rather than standing up .For some reason now cat noises are working

1 Like

just keep doing it

1 Like

Hmm.

One for five!

Sorry one for six

I’m very relaxed. There are many things I am not but I am very relaxed

im zero to six and i dont get as bad headaches as you claim to anymore
i think theres an underlying problem

Probably but what can I do