Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

1. This fucking sucks I’m sorry YBW
  2. I have the opposite of Arete’s previous ailment where people who like go around asking people they meet individually their pronouns just don’t ask me?
4 Likes

Good morning everyone, and welcome to today’s Mandatory College Orientation Training On Respecting Our LGBTQIA Classmates! Let’s start by having everyone introduce themselves with their preferred name and pronouns. Remember, it’s important that everyone participate – if you don’t want to say your pronouns, that can reinforce the idea that cisgender-ness is the default, which can have problematic connotations. [points at visibly-queer-looking kid] Would you like to start us off?

8 Likes

this is at least cheering me up a little lmao

8 Likes

she’s 18 I think? (also ‘can’t’ doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen unfortunately, although it sounds like She In Particular is ok in that regard)

2 Likes

My powerful Cisgender Radiation

2 Likes

an unprompted “what are your pronouns?!” from a well-meaning cishet person is way worse than the t slur

2 Likes

This afternoon we’ll be following it up with College Anti-Racism Training, where we “invite” people to share their personal experiences with racism, and College Anti-Sexual-Harassment Training, where we answer questions about university policy and explain why actually it would be really hard for us to do anything about sexual harassment. Remember, attendance is mandatory!

4 Likes

You can do it. Don’t apologize for you who are. Leverage this to start HRT

2 Likes

but the college has those blue poles!! this means that SA is no more and any requests to do anything else are unreasonable and asking too much

4 Likes

see like I’m fine with “what are your pronouns” (it’s not like people are going to just randomly guess that I use they/them) but pronoun circles in mixed company are Bad

worse versions include “what are your pronouns? I ask everyone btw haha” and “what are your pronouns? [continues to misgender you]”

4 Likes

or like they do just randomly guess that I might use they/them which is Presumably Why I Get Questions but they’re not going to read my mind. idk if I’m phrasing this well

3 Likes

TRUE

2 Likes

My little brother did me a favor and got the womens clothes out of my room thankfully

I guess ill come out to him later but im not as worried about that

5 Likes

me when every school administration ever fails to do things about Numerous Reports from Various People

1 Like

The best way to do this is to start by stating your own pronouns, and not explicitly prompting for the other person’s. Usually people will reciprocate.

2 Likes

yah no i dont think its always bad its more in the world of, like, feminine presenting has-been-on-hrt-for-a-while trans women im talking lol

4 Likes

no yeah I totally get why it would suck when people do it for you I just don’t think it’s Universally Bad In All Cases For Everyone

like to choose a non-random example I’m clearly presenting myself as Some Variety Of Queer and depending on context might be throwing some mixed gender signals, valid of people to want clarification

4 Likes

I have also already recounted the story of a girl from my dorm asking me “are you, you know” and then limping her wrist at me

4 Likes

This just isnt somrthing i wanna deal with on vacation. I know my dad would go out of his way to misgender me and shit like that if he knew and i dont want to deal with that when i will literally be with him all day. When I get back? I can deal with it then

3 Likes

it doesnt happen to me bc i take huge precautions to never look androgynous or give non binary. because id not be able to function for a day if someone “whats ur pronounsd” me.

5 Likes