Cookie Thread Act 4 (Act 5): The Fifth One

*looks at Paradox Hazard and other action-resolution-heavy setups I have made in the past*

Right… “1%”…

1 Like

I LOST MY ELYTRA
hand of god my ass thats like 150 gold worth of shit i just lost

1 Like

channeling my inner failboy

1 Like

Whenever I play Minecraft, I don’t really like newer versions so I just play 1.7.2 and play all the old maps for peak nostalgia

1 Like

Ah, well. All journeys ought to start somewhere. Time to make the first step–

:skull:

fwiw there are other non instant day actions where I expect I would have the opposite intuition, it’s possible I’m being influenced by poison heals as a usually? instant thing

1 Like

i finished my last playthrough on this smp because i lost all my original gear to the void. the week since then ive lost 3 elytras and 40 ancient debris

@arctic when are you making an asmr?

“deep voiced british town leader scumcases you and destroys you completely while youre helpless”

and then you could calmly talk about how obvious wolf the listener is and how they cant escape and they will get chopped and destroy all their arguments

3 Likes

cant say this shit with your pfp

5 Likes

tutuu’s pfp is a limiter

4 Likes

when im totally on the s11g8 podcast

3 Likes

wait until you see the alt i have to play anni with

3 Likes

Skill issue

3 Likes

:clueless:

3 Likes

dogbae

4 Likes

dogbae…

3 Likes

Dogbae

1 Like

The game is canned

2 Likes

I think about action resolution and more broadly just like running a mafia game in terms how I would write a program to handle it. I want to have it simulate simultaneous (non-immediate) action resolution while remaining deterministic (i.e. you do not inject randomness where an effect does not explicitly call for it) and agnostic of timestamps (conflicts cannot be resolved by who submitted the action first). This requires that actions resolve sequentially to avoid non-determinism (because if you didn’t avoid it, things like blockers/redirectors/doctors either fundamentally don’t work or only work some of time for unpredictable reasons). In practice with humans resolving stuff this leads to a version of natural action resolution with some really unfortunate potential bullshit when the wrong roles target each other or the same player(s).

There’s also a rules-to-human layer where you have to translate how a thing works in the underlying mechanical rules engine so a person can understand it, ideally intuitively. Effects that say “until the end of [Phase]” or “at the end of [Phase]” are essentially referring to the same instant in time as well as the elimination which occurs “at the end of the Day” and non-immediate action resolution which happens “at the end of the [Phase]”. Again, you don’t want a computer just doing things simultaneously because then you’re into chaos land, so even those these wordings all imply the same instant in time, we have to ask ourselves how all of these various things happen sequentially. It’s often time difficult to think about how this should work just in the abstract so I like to come up with trivial examples where it actually matters to figure out how a computer would do it to get the same result.

In mash, I like a poison healer being non-immediate because, well, I can’t think of a single instance where a player being healed was actually announced in the middle of the day and it seems more complicated to have that announcement be separate from the actual resolution of the heal. But from a player experience perspective it’s nice being able to submit the heal while being able to change it before action deadline hence I think this should work so a non-immediate heal can function with a poison that kills a player “at the end of the Day”. If I want this to work, this has implications about how the elimination, action resolution, and “at the end of the Day” timings need to fit relative to each other.

Thinking about this led me to “at the end of the Day” being the same time when the elimination happens and any effect that says the same thing e.g. if a poisoned player “dies at the end of the Day”, it in theory happens simultaneously to the player who dies from the elimination. So, if a heal must happen before a poison kills a player, we either need to lump trigger resolution into action resolution which seems… strange (not impossible, but strange), or we say that day actions resolve and then things that say “at the end of the Day” do.

Adding “until the end of [Phase]” into the mix, in FAM4 the catbae role had an ability that said they were protected from killing actions “until the end of the Day”. Let’s say there’s a stupid kind of day vigi that isn’t immediate, and their target dies in action resolution. Seems really stupid for a killing day action to work when a player ought to have been protected “until the end of the Day” so “until the end of the Day” should also be after action resolution. If a vengeful player is eliminated OR is poisoned and dies “at the end of the Day”, and their vengeful kill was set to target the player who was protected from killing actions “until the end of the Day”, that should also stop it. This leads me to a rough order of

• Action resolution
  • “at end of [Phase]” (elimination and poison happen here. Votes are locked when this part begins)
  • “until end of [Phase]”

And because I found a few examples of various things that resolve the way that makes sense to me intuitively, I feel pretty good that this ordering is going to produce “nice” outcomes if used. Most of the time knowing precisely how that worked wouldn’t really matter for players (or hosts for that matter), but if there was ever a really complicated interaction between things that all were going to happen at the same time, ideally you’d have a more objective and consistent method of determining what the exact outcome is going to be.

3 Likes

5 Likes