Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

But fair

I don’t know Lilith well enough to agree or disagree so therefore

Nya~

1 Like

well yes but what would the categories be

everybody knows me well. or no one. either way youre on even ground

is the reason u talk so much crap here to make up for you being selectively mute irl

insane for you to say i talk so much crap here

you have like 2000 posts in this thread across your accounts

text is my main form of social interaction quite honestly. even with my family i will often go for body language or just like. at my best grunting. i dont do words well outside of specific circumstances

this isnt talking crap im chatty

1 Like

The Last of Us & Last of Us 2 spoilers

Summary

TLoU 1 & 2 are games that lean extremely hard into the direction of “the player is a spectator”.

Some people may disagree with the analysis of TLoU 1 that I’m going with here and I believe it’s the intended interpretation, but ymmv. Anyway, you control Joel and over the course of the game you kill a lot of zombies, and a lot of people. Players normally don’t think about the killing in video games, and we don’t think about that as saying anything about us or the characters we’re controlling. It doesn’t matter when gun guy puts up video games numbers on people because it’s a video game, and that’s how video games go. When the gameplay doesn’t align with the narrative, it’s called ludo-narrative dissonance, and we think nothing of it. We don’t think any about the people Joel are killing, we don’t think of Joel differently. We passively kill. During the last level, Joel is setting out to stop Ellie from dying, and is determined to kill anyone who gets in his way. He kills the Fireflies, the group that’s been described as the good guys the entire game, and shown to be good people or people who are trying the best they can in a fucked up world. Joel kills them the same way he killed every other person leading up to this moment, with neither remorse nor hesitation.

When he gets to the surgery suite, the doctor who has been described as the single best chance at finding a vaccine for the cordyceps turning humanity into zombies draws a scalpel on Joel. It doesn’t matter what you do here because Joel pulls the trigger either way. Doesn’t hesitate to kill the man who he knows is humanity’s best shot at getting out of hell because he just does not give a shit. This is the moment when the player is supposed to realize that the fucking trail of bodies Joel has been leaving across the US is not ludo-narrative dissonance, it is not something we can say has no bearing on Joel’s character, but instead we realize that we’ve been controlling a broken and violent man the entire time that kills anyone that stands in his way without thinking not because a player is pressing buttons, but because he really just does not or cannot give a shit. It’s just the convenient way forward.

TLoU 2 can’t use the same twist, but it uses the same trick. You control Ellie this time, but the enemies have names. They cry out for each other when they see a friend get hurt. They beg Ellie for mercy, not you because you don’t have a choice in the matter as a player. You must press the button to kill them to continue the story. You do this over and over again as the game increasingly tells you that this is going to end badly for Ellie. Ellie is chasing Abby on a quest for revenge for killing Joel, and before it resolve, we switch perspectives. We see Abby’s side of things, we see why she killed Joel, and her relationship with her friends that we know Ellie is gonna kill in a few hours or days. Joel kills the doctor (Abby’s dad), so Abby kills Joel, but then Ellie sets out to kill Abby. It’s tragic and we know it’s tragic and we don’t want them to kill each other anymore. We just want them to stop, but they will not stop and we cannot stop them because we’re merely a spectator.

There’s a theater in the game that’s an important location, and the last play shown there before the world ended was Cassandra. Cassandra is a play about a woman, the eponymous Cassandra, who can see the future, but no one listens to her prophecies and she’s forced to witness the tragedy she saw coming, but was powerless to prevent. In TLoU 2, we, the player, are Cassandra. We know this ends in tragedy, and yet despite having our hands on the literal controls, we are just as powerless to stop it. The tragedy will unfold and we must bear witness or put the game down and leave the tragedy looming just over the horizon, but if we do not we must bear witness. We must watch as these people make the wrong decisions every time, but the game makes us feel the weight of the wrong decisions because we’re the ones pressing the Do the Wrong Thing button. It was genuinely so insane to experience and be aware of what’s going on, and just shouting at my TV to please let me fucking stop. Just let me stop because that means Ellie and Abby stop, and don’t have to lose anymore because they’ve lost so much.

So yeah I think trying to make the character a player avatar is fine, but it sucks if you don’t commit to the bit and use that to say something. Taking away my agency as a player doesn’t diminish your game at all if your story has something worthwhile to say.

oh yeah i didnt mean actually talking shit

just shitposts

1 Like

autistic people are so interesting

you ever play smash online with the 4 preselected messages you can send. i have those picked out. i look at my mom and shift my eyes a direction and she knows im asking her a specific question most of the time

3 Likes

or like. pointing out a cool dog

1 Like

I went to a party once where I didn’t know anybody and literally just walked around for like an hour desperately wanting to leave and then finally doing so. Perhaps this isn’t just a neurodivergent thing, but it was a harrowing experience for me. My dad thought this was a good idea for me though and told me to go thinking I might make friends which makes me think that it might be a neurodivergent thing though.

3 Likes

i feel like an explorer from 200 years ago discovering the wildlife of africa and documenting the behaviours of the animals

1 Like

this could easily just be being introverted lol i don’t think i would have a good time at a party with zero people i knew

2 Likes

i could pull this off

1 Like

maybe if there are other people like you there, but not a huge chance of that happening

1 Like

i need one other person who has no idea what theyre doing there

1 Like