Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

The only reason I ended up getting diagnosed was:

1. My dad had a thyroid infection for a bit when I was 13
  2. School had just started and I was super super tired as a result
  3. I ended up having a very similar presentation of symptoms to him - fatigue and such - so I went to the doctor thinking I also had a thyroid issue
  4. Tests kept coming back negative, so my mom looked into other illnesses which might cause the same symptoms
  5. It was found my heart rate increased substantially (over 30-40BPM) when I went from sitting to standing, a symptom of autonomic dysfunction
  6. The connective tissue problems I have are often related to autonomic dysfunction, so I found them through relation
2 Likes

instead of wasting my time running it under hot water if i struggle with a jar of pickles for more than 5 seconds i’ll get a literal fucking can opener

1 Like

you dig it into the seal and break the side of the lid open and it becomes significantly easier to unscrew

1 Like

Because if exercise hurts and going outside hurts you are going to spend a lot of time on the computer. Forum mafia requires you to spend a lot of time on the computer

1 Like

My lower back is already so fucked that I just decided not to give a shit if it’s getting worse. That’s another reason why I don’t ever want to leave my job – if things ever worsen too badly, then they’re on the hook for infinite workers’ comp

1 Like

life hacks

you should care because one day itll suck hard enough you wish you did trust me

1 Like

Even more than just “you have to be online to find the mafia forums” but also “to be good at forum mafia and enjoy it, you have to invest even more time than most online hobbies”

2 Likes

I’m good. Adapting to the agony made me a healthier person in several ways

1 Like

Yes
same with being on the internet in general, it’s pretty self-explanatory

if you’re physically disabled you’re going to spend more time doing non-physically intensive activities and less time doing outside real life things

1 Like

I just fucking hate people.

who hurt you

For people without invisible chronic disabilities, diagnosis of an issue is associated with a worsening - you only go to a doctor and get a diagnosis when you suddenly get substantially more sick and can’t function anymore. This naturally results in people having a negative association with being told they have a disease.

If you’ve lived with something your whole life, though, knowing you have a disease does not actually mean it’s worsened. It just means you know what to treat. Even if, for whatever reason, you don’t want to see a doctor or get medication, knowing you have a particular issue can help you with little improvements to your life that can make a substantial difference.

If I know my pain sources from hypermobility, I can adjust the way I type and walk in order to ensure my joints move out of place less. If I have substantial back pain, I know it can be helped by core-strengthening exercises that help my back support my overly-loose spine. If I have a bad flare-up of issues with my hands, I know that taping or splinting them so that the joint is supported will help.

If I didn’t have this diagnosis, I’d have the same issues, just with no idea how to treat them. If… I dunno, here’s an analogy:

The breakers in my house have been tripping a lot recently, and at first it was unclear what was causing them. You can live without knowing what’s tripping the breakers, you just go turn them back on when there’s an issue, it’s just really annoying.

We eventually figured out that it’s the dryer causing these issues, so we know not to run the dryer without turning off other appliances, and even we haven’t yet made investment in solving the issue, we can at least mitigate the symptoms because we’ve identified their source.

Denial would not have stopped the breakers from tripping, even if it would have stopped us from thinking specifically “we need to buy a new dryer” and making us technically not undergo that expense. Knowing what the issue is can only help you.

And now we’ve also ordered a new dryer, and when that comes we will have fixed the source of the issue. This costs money! It costs effort and money to order a new dryer or go on medications or get physical therapy to properly support your joints. But if we genuinely could not afford that new dryer, or could not be bothered to spend the time buying it (this is where the analogy breaks down a little buying a drywr is easy), we still could’ve mitigated the symptoms by ebing careful about when we’d run it.

Refusing to investigate whether you have health issues can only make them worse. Knowing it’s the dryer that trips the breaker doesn’t make the breaker trip more.

7 Likes

Damn that was long

2 Likes

not reading all that. gonna take a calculated gamble and say “congratulations on your aunt’s wedding”

6 Likes

Without this journey i would be 50+ lb heavier and much less adept socially. So I no longer want a do-over for any of the mistakes I’ve made in my life

1 Like

I personally choose to blame that little thing that made everyone have to stay inside for like a year.

knowing youre getting worse and not knowing why also sucks for your mental health too. when things suck look into it

1 Like

I personally would’ve gone with a Sucker Punch there

I think people can be more, like, scared to investigate invisible health issues because… you can’t tell whether level of pain and fatigue is normal. Admitting you might have health issues means admitting things may be bad for you! it even likely means you’ll notice your aymptoms more often, thus creating an association in your mind between, like, a diagnosis and pain.

But it doesn’t actually worsen anything to identify an issue. It’s like pretending your circuit breaker hasn’t tripped. Denial is only gonna prevent you from mitigating the worst parts of an illness, if not directly solving it through medication and treatment.

3 Likes