Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

or is it bright because it is putrid

Rian Johnson didnā€™t understand the assignment
This was deeply interesting of a choice

1 Like

I think he understood the assignment and chose to try and forge a new identity for the sequel trilogy.
He didnā€™t succeed, and the final film has a trillion different flaws, but I do respect The Last Jedi for being the only film in the sequel trilogy that takes any sort of risk and has any sort of artistic ambition.

1 Like

I would make the argument that The Rise of Skywalker had the potential to retroactively make it a better film by exploring its themes and ideas in nuanced and interesting ways, and it instead just became one of my least favorite films of all time.

1 Like

Iā€™m acting from the position that the assignment was to make a profitable film that continued to keep the hype train high

1 Like

And doing that would appear to be relatively easy from my perspective
But I am no filmmaker so I am acting purely from hypotheticals

This I agree with completely

8 posits that ā€˜awakening hope in the hearts of the peopleā€™ is a necessary part of winning against the darkness
9 just skips past that entirely for its ā€˜everyone is hereā€™ moment

1 Like

Thereā€™s a great video essay on the making of The Rise of Skywalker that explores how the film was made, and I think thereā€™s a lot that it says about how the sequel trilogy was handled.

oh god itā€™s over an hour

I feel disney execs and most movie execs in general want to figure out how to do Demon Slayer again

1 Like

It seems like the obvious end goal:
Extremely easy to make merchandise for
Extreme broad appeal
Alienate as few people as possible

1 Like

Thereā€™s no buy-in with demon slayer
You donā€™t have to try very hard to understand whatā€™s going on

Why would you ever want nuance from a financial perspective?

I think what makes Demon Slayer work is its inherent simplicity, and thatā€™s something a forty-year-old franchise canā€™t get away with.

(I am getting in the headspace from an exec)

So how about attempt to model that by spamming the shit out of legacy characters

1 Like

I do think that this is also why 2023 was a pretty good year, given that the highest grossing film of the year was Barbie, which took an enormous amount of creative risk for something could have easily played it safe, and the third-highest grossing film was Oppenheimer, a three-hour documentary.

When creating new content, we can either expand what already is or question the foundations
We can avoid creating a backlog by calling back to previous things as much as possible

I liked 2023 a lot
In fact I like pretty much every year from a movie perspective
always have fun w/ this stuff

1 Like

Disney desperately wants to find an easy source of recurrent revenue
They captured lightning with the MCU but then everything started to fall apart

I feel like thereā€™s consistency in all these choices
Obviously I should try to find insider information for these decisions but I love the thought experiment