Cookie Thread Act 4: katze thread

I see the sentiment among a lot of people my age who used to love Star Wars just hate how boring and safe and reductive and “just playing the hits” almost everything they’ve put out has been. The exceptions are things like Visions which almost hurts to watch because it’s so many vignettes of better Star Wars content that we may never have a lot to chew on, and Andor. Andor is just incredible not because it’s that good but because it is an unqualified Good show that’s set in the Star Wars universe. When it delves into existing characters, it does so thoughtfully and is actually making them an interesting and compelling character. So often it’s like the camera cuts to them, spotlight comes on, and they march on stage to the applause of a live studio audience to then do The Thing, and quickly exiting stage left. It’s just so hard to give a shit about Marvel movies anymore. I’d be shocked if both franchises were not stagnating in viewership and positive sentiments because Disney misunderstands that what made the MCU good were like solid character driven action films that made subtle nods to each other in post credit scenes. The new thing was the interconnectivity so they were like “oh everyone wants that” and gave up on the “making a good film” aspect.

3 Likes

Hm yes. This is a record FAM 4 must beat I have decided.

1 Like

squint

who r u

1 Like

Your worst nightmare

:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

Someone who dropped their “all text in code block” gimmick so now I will let them alt in peace.

Hello new FoL user Thunderstorm

2 Likes

Oh, I’m working on writing a role that beats that.

By how much do you think

Asking for a friend

Eh…
[checks notes]
I’d say around 5k words? It makes sense within the context of the role.

Much of the issue is that the role requires a stupid amount of reading and media consumption, so it’s an ongoing effort.

I know we joke about role cards being novels, but a novella can be around 15k words on the lower end. You are approaching a length where the comparison is no longer outrageous.

Would saying that it’s a Fate role explain the situation?

No but in a way yes. The people into Fate seem to be really into Fate, and it explains it from that angle. If Ishtar is a role it better rule that’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

Giving a 5k word role to a mafia player is like giving a deluxe vinyl to a deaf person

4 Likes

It’s not as great as people make it out to be, but they’re never gonna know either way?

1 Like

Big expensive thing that cant be consumed

1 Like

if someone gave me a 5k word role i would probably just treat it as a vanilla role lol

2 Likes

if most of the word count was in a collapsible box and flavor, and not necessary to read for the mechanics I think it’s cool to have that much thought put into a role card. It’s just at a certain point you really can’t have mechanical parts of roles this long because… yeah no one will read it.

I’m stealing a role mechanic from something I wrote a couple years ago to compensate for that. There’s an art to managing enormous amounts of text.

1 Like

sometimes i think about the role i wrote for a character who has Really Long Monologues where i literally just copy pasted one for the flavor

the role was vt and im pretty sure it was still the longest role in the game on wordcount

Its me

3 Likes