Dicey Dungeons FM (8/15) - Game Thread (MAFIA WINS)

That particular blacklisting is public information coinciding with the end of CFM3.

Anyways, on topic…

I’m looking over things again in a bit. None of what I’ve looked at is intrinsically wrong, but I’ve added a note to self to ask people during review about vote manipulation in XyLO just as I do about handling Perpetual MyLO.

wolfchat

spec chat

if you want the 1-man copychat tell me

what if I don’t want strangers in it

it’s the cool people lounge

you already consented

when

I meant copy chat

oh
yeah i aint releasing it then

1 Like

#cool people lounge

1 Like

did you reveal all your deepest secrets

1 Like

I did ask Eli twice to bring stuff up to you.
I also contacted site staff about the situation. (Tho didn’t ask them to pass a message to you)

But yeah, both actually happened.

i may be stupid

Okay, after looking over things again, I stand by the setup and numbers being okay, with the addition of “vote manipulation is disabled in XyLO”, something I considered to be relatively standard, but in hindsight (Hindsight is 20/20), should explicitly have been asked about. There’s a rough guideline I scribbled about reviews a while ago and adding on a list of basic questions about how the host intends to run things is a good idea. I’m sure there’s more, but off the top of my head, vote manipulation in XyLo, handling of Perpetual MyLO, and majority/plurality are three big things that come to mind.

I am always around for the designer/host of a game I’ve reviewed, regardless of who they pick as a cohost, so that issue is more than addressed.

I think that this setup was by no means intrinsically broken and from what I’ve heard, the host and many of the players agree with me on that.

The mafia team played well with the resources they had, and the town team played well but not as well with the resources they had.

My general guideline I suggest for anti-town player numbers at the moment, outside of certain multi-faction-games, is 20≤M≤33%, and this fit in that with a bit of leeway. Yes, effectively 31% is quite a bit for anti-town, but with the unfortunately-assumed disabling in XyLO that happened, and the start of a more reasonable 27%, it’s really not an insane numbering.

Modposters can be extremely strong or entirely useless depending on who uses it. It’s a role with a lot of swing, and on Mafia even more than town. The Mafia use it to at least soft-clear themselves and for not much else. With the wrong host, it literally becomes an innocent child and/or at least 1-shot public mod-confirmed alignment cop on Mafia. If anything, as a Mafia role, it’s usually rather unfun for the players. A problem that sorta comes up here is that the same can also be said about Mafia gladiators to a degree. When they’re strong, they’re amazing, but a lot of the time they’re weak. So there was a degree of trying to split that off. Doublevoters are intrinsically strong but are generally much more powerful on town than on Mafia. So the switch between the doublevoter and the modposter made a lot of sense to me.

The randomness adds a cool twist to the setup, but I think it also takes away a degree of agency from both alignments. It’s known that randomness is often less fun for exactly that reason. That said, the core of the setup is the randomness. And it can be a fun mechanic. It also can seriously lower swinginess, especially when some of the modes are particularly less swingy.

That should cover any concerns that I’ve seen.

@Litten @ElizaThePsycho @DatBird @Atlas @Mistyx @Blizer @Marshal @Wazza

4 Likes

ngl i dont buy this at all

unless a modposter looks exactly like a host announcement, every player will know it is a modposter or at least enough will to inform the consensus

there is no way a mafia (or town) could use this to reliably fake information, or more than they could by just claiming something.

something that looks like

A message appears!

Marshal is a member of the Town

will be instantly determined to be a modpost/unreliable unless somebody outright claims it due the weird circumstances it shows up in.

Its barely a utility for town if everyone can recognize it as a modpost (they can, I can pull up examples of modposts being used for the purpose of fake checks and not being believed without someone claiming it). So no it is not even potentially powerful enough to justify the pretty significant unbalance of the game at a base level. (11v4 is very wolfsided without measures town can be able to take to even up those numbers, a 1-shot vengeful is not nearly enough to make up for that)

im very unconvinced that if you ran this setup multiple times with different players uninformed about the setup the winrates would be anywhere close to 50/50, especially on a site that has experience with modposters like this.

so no i dont really agree with this justification

3 Likes

To be fair, they rolled 1.
This is very convulted message modification which Eli came up with.

none of this is to discredit wolves, i do firmly believe they played better as an alignment but imo this setup is wolfsided as hell, with town having very little overall utility outside of the vengeful when the numbers were already weighted against them significantly

1 Like

its not that the message had the weird modification, its that it was presented as

“A message appears!”

which nobody in the game would trust as mechanical info unless someone claimed it

2 Likes

Yeah I told u to go through Eli as I was busy, and he knew the setup. Plus as u said I wasnt asked to pass along a message

Yeah, as I said and did.
Main issue was pobably that everyone was busy becouse christmas were coming.

I’m mostly feeling sad that I didn’t get anything done in the end.
But also, that was not my game after all.

1 Like